Clear Lake with OnTheFly

G
GDBrown
Just wanted to say thanks to Jim for dragging the Little Blue Drifter up to Clear Lake yesterday for a little fly fishing. We had a beautiful day with no grass to cut or cars to wash! Just a little fun with the fly rod...... What we did have was 25-30 strikes on a fly with 15 hook-ups and 12 to the boat!:shock: Oh and two for dinner tonight! I'm sure Jim had just as many but I kind of stayed out of his way after the 16 incher he played for such a long time.

CLRainbow.jpg

CLRainbow-1.jpg

About noon we drove down to Lake Harriet for some more fun, but it was crowded (in my opinion) and the bite was OFF. We did get some strikes on drys a little before we left but I missed mine and Jim did too.

On the trip between the two lakes we passed by Timothy and they were drawing down the lake because of the recent and expected rain. Here is a short video of the dam spray.

[video]http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/ad331/gdbrown/OFF%20Fishing/?action=view&current=CLwithOTF.flv[/video]

Thanks again Jim, I had a great time.

GD

Last edited:
Reactions: OnTheFly
O
OnTheFly
It was a real pleasure to fish with you Gene and I'll (drag) the Little Blue Drifter around for you any day. Oh..hey...is that the larger fish you caught as we were trolling back to the truck? Nice one!

G
GDBrown
OnTheFly said:
.....is that the larger fish you caught as we were trolling back to the truck? Nice one!

Nope I let that one go. I kept two for the table earlier to make sure my wife knew I was a successful fisherman and it was worth my efforts to put fish on her plate.:rolleyes: They did taste good tonight.

GD

N
nwkiller
nice pictures, looks like you guys had a lot of fun

B
bigsteel
excellent report fellas,,,,,,looks like a perfect day to be on the lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H
halibuthitman
I need me a day like this, nice fish guys!

H
Hawk
Looks like a very Beautiful Day.

Great Job Bro's.

:clap::clap::clap:
:D:D:D
:cool::cool:

J
jackycolen
It seems that you both had a great time while fishing and even good catch with fish. As the fish seems quite healthy and fresh , your dinner would have been amazing.

M
moosebrew13
Sorry if this is dumb but I am assuming you are talking about the Clear Lake that is near Government Camp since you also went to Timothy Lake. Does the ODFW stock this lake? I looked on the site and didn't see it, just the clear lake that is to the south. Also, is the bank fishing any good here? We were thinking of going camping there this summer and I don't have a boat. I tried looking this stuff up with the search option but the info is confusing cause of the 2 lakes with the same name. Thanks for helping out a new fisherman with your knowledge.

O
OnTheFly
There is plenty of bank access and yes this is the Clear Lake in the Mt Hood area. You can camp in the campground or at the far end of the lake where GD Brown and I fished. Later in the summer, they draw a tremendous amount of water out of the lake for irrigation purposes and it gets nearly empty so go early. Rainbow trout and Brook trout are abundent.

Last edited:
M
moosebrew13
We were thinking of going the second week in August. You think that would be too late? Maybe we will just go to Timothy then. I was just thinking this might be a better spot to fish with my 5 year old. For him the more fish the more better. We are still working on the patience part. =D

M
moosebrew13
I also wondered if you knew anything about crawdads in Clear Lake. Thanks again for the info.

O
OnTheFly
Timothy Lake would be an exellent choice. Timothy is centrally located between Clear Lake and Harriet Lake. BTW, that is my favorite lake run. I have fished all three of these lakes in one day before but usually by the time I get to Timothy I won't put in I'll just nap for an hour then head to Harriet. lol. Anyway, Timothy is your best bet for crawdads. The lake is FULL of them.