Chatter baits?

F
Finneus Polebender
Just a quick census on the use of chatter baits and their effectiveness here in the great NW. Been checkin out the Z-man ones they look and act cool in the water but we all know how many fishermen oops fisherpeople are duped that way. So if you would chime in guys/gals let me know your side of the story . got a couple on the way to try ,dont like runnin the spectrum on lures if I dont know they work well. Do know if ya dont give new stuff a try you will not become multi dimentional angler and that leads to less tight lines not more

Last edited:
F
Finneus Polebender
Well every time i speak my foot goes right in my mouth .Had a couple hours tonight so I ran to a local hideaway we have and fired up ol faithful right out the gate . About ny 5th cast or so had givin up on the cast and was reelin in my worm just fast enuff to break water when wham up came jaws and gave me one more good reason not to stray from what catches fish!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe I didn't blow it being my first topwater of this season, but I managed to hold my breath and let her take it under then doink I executed a perfect hook set. luckily it was fairly open she peeled off 15yrds of line baby smooth off the ol pflueger reel , doubled back and headed under my toon . burned in the slack got her tite and she busted out another 10 ft of line. worked my pole around the toon and eased her in . Not seeing the #s this year , but sure can't complain about the quality .Think she was right at 4lbs. Anyhow guess there are some times when ol faithful dont work Ill try new stuff then

T
TTFishon
Nice catch!!! I'm gonna have to spend a few hours down there soon.

T
the_intimidator03
i gotta say top water bassin is a kick in the pants. Used to do it for smallies all the time on the columbia. hell i dunno what wont catch smallies anymore. btw finneus you said you wanted some small mouth bass action? there is one place around here i found out has small mouth. got a 19 inch and 13 inch out of the same spot at dorena if you want more details let me know

F
Finneus Polebender
the_intimidator03 said:
i gotta say top water bassin is a kick in the pants. Used to do it for smallies all the time on the columbia. hell i dunno what wont catch smallies anymore. btw finneus you said you wanted some small mouth bass action? there is one place around here i found out has small mouth. got a 19 inch and 13 inch out of the same spot at dorena if you want more details let me know

Sent ya pm

D
Dbrown
I was curious about chatter baits as well after watching an elite series tourny that had a few people using them, so I picked a couple up to try out...My brother and I had a tournament down at Fern Ridge in Eugene on the 24th and broke one out for the first time, he got two just under 5pnds on it. The chatter bait helped us take 3rd place...so I would say fern ridge is a great place to use them and wouldn't hesitate to use them anywhere else. It is hard to put old faithful down most of the time though.:)

F
Finneus Polebender
Dbrown said:
I was curious about chatter baits as well after watching an elite series tourny that had a few people using them, so I picked a couple up to try out...My brother and I had a tournament down at Fern Ridge in Eugene on the 24th and broke one out for the first time, he got two just under 5pnds on it. The chatter bait helped us take 3rd place...so I would say fern ridge is a great place to use them and wouldn't hesitate to use them anywhere else. It is hard to put old faithful down most of the time though.:)

Thanks for the report will have to give them a try as soon as they get here! Only have small boats no motors but fish Kirk park a bit and would think theyd work anywhere you could work any spinner bait type lure. Do they track more shallow or do they behave just like spinner baits?I will almost always pop a spinner bait for at least a little bit just to see unless the cover is solid when they work the fish are seldom small!