Change in fishing plans. Need help!

S
SquidHC
Was planning on heading down to Hagg Lake this weekend with the wife, but we want to camp and since that's not an option there I need some help.

If you were going to camp, fish and bring canoes, which lake would you choose to go fishing within say 100 miles from Portland?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I am happy fishing for trout as well as warm water species, and am using spinning/bait casting gear.

S
Spydeyrch
You could camp at Spruce Run Campground, which is on the Nehalem, and then drive the 3.5 mile logging road, with your canoe, up to lost lake. It has trout, brooders, and recycled steelhead. Great little lake!! :clap:

Camp next to the river (nice campgrounds), and then drive to the lake.

I was up there last week Thursday. Saw two big bald eagles catching fish out of the water and I caught/landed ~15 fun trout. :D

Have fun!!

-Spydey

S
SquidHC
Sounds like a great plan! I think we will do this. Are the recycled Steelhead considered trout in the lake, or do I need a steelhead tag?

S
Spydeyrch
SquidHC said:
Sounds like a great plan! I think we will do this. Are the recycled Steelhead considered trout in the lake, or do I need a steelhead tag?

That is actually a great questions. :clap: I had never thought about that. But I am pretty sure that because they are hatchery steelhead, used for breeding purposes, and no longer serve their function, and they were stocked into a non-outlet lake, that you can fish them without a tag. I don't see why you would need a tag for that but perhaps you could start a new thread under steelhead and ask that question. I am sure you will get a good answer and quick. :D

Enjoy the campgrounds and the lake great spots.

Also, there is a little 2.5 miles (one-way) trail that goes up to Spruce Run Pond/lake. I was going to hike it last week when I was there, but didn't have a chance. I read somewhere online that it used to have wild cutties but that some logging company got rid of the dam and now it is just a mere puddle. If you go up that trail (trail-head is in the campground) would you kindly report on if there is a lake anymore and if you saw fish? Thanks!! :)

Enjoy your trip, the camp grounds, the lake, and the fishing!! Take lots of pics!! :D

-Spydey

Last edited:
W
wozniasm
I agree with Spydey - Lost Lake would be a great start for you and the wife with the campground only 3.5 miles from it.
Very sure steelhead in the lake do not require a steelhead stamp. Only one over 20 inches can be retained as a trout.
Enjoy and let us know how you did!

troutdude
troutdude
Can't find any info. under "special regulations", so the Zone Regs apply. Wozniasm is correct: only one trout over 20" can be kept.

M
mastercaster
trillium lake on mt hood is one of my favorites for camping and fishing . Score the right spot and its just a matter of packing your canoe 20 yards down the trail to the lake . When I go there I leave my rowboat beached on the shoreline never had it bothered by anyone . I have caught some rainbows but mostly brookies also some trophy trout but dont know if its stocked with trophys regularly . Good luck to you

brandon4455
brandon4455
x2 on trillium.

S
SquidHC
Well Lost Lake ended up being a great suggestion! My wife and I fished from our kayaks for 3 hours and around 10 trout each. Unfortunately, they were all 6"-8" stockers, with the largest about 10". We released all but three, and only kept them because they swallowed the hook too deep. It was crazy though, everyone at the lake was limiting out fast. Kids were having a blast. If you have children that you fish with, take em! Plunk chartreuse powerbait, floated about 2' off the bottom. They will catch more than you know what to do with.

There were a few fly fisher there in their pontoons. Made me with I had brought mine. They were knockin' em dead the whole time.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!

W
wozniasm
SquidHC said:
Well Lost Lake ended up being a great suggestion! My wife and I fished from our kayaks for 3 hours and around 10 trout each. Unfortunately, they were all 6"-8" stockers, with the largest about 10". We released all but three, and only kept them because they swallowed the hook too deep. It was crazy though, everyone at the lake was limiting out fast. Kids were having a blast. If you have children that you fish with, take em! Plunk chartreuse powerbait, floated about 2' off the bottom. They will catch more than you know what to do with.

There were a few fly fisher there in their pontoons. Made me with I had brought mine. They were knockin' em dead the whole time.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!

Glad you had a great time!