Central Oregon fishing suggestions

S
seanandrenee
Girlfriend and I are planning on heading to Central Oregon in mid April for a long 4-5 day weekend. We live in the Portland area and fish there regularly. We are looking to try out some new water but are unfamiliar with the area. We are spin/cast fisherpersons and we don't have a boat, so unfortunately limited to the bank on lakes, rivers, streams, and reservoirs. We would like somewhere with B&B facilities for the evenings but we camp also so we are flexible. We have two 40 lb dogs that we would love to take but they can also stay with friends and family for the b&b route. We have all the gear need for trout, salmon, steelhead, bass, and any other non-ocean fish that we regularly target here. It is her Birthday weekend and I am trying to make it a little special.

S
steelhead_slayer
Do you want river, or lake? Big fish or lots of fish?

S
seanandrenee
We are open to any/all of the above. Just looking to have a good time.
Thanks

S
steelhead_slayer
Crooked river will have a little bit warmer temperature than most places. It is full of fish and has some nice campgrounds.

F
fuson22
I personally fish central Oregon (near Bend, that are) every April and have for years. Always productive are the Cascade Lakes. There is a Ton of info online about these lakes. Simply type in "cascade lakes fishing Oregon" and you will find a lot of info. But I personally fish Wickiup Reservoir, Crane Prairie Reservoir, and Odell Lake. Wickiup is just west of La Pine. Very well known and big lake. Probably best known for it's HUGE Brown Trout and Kokanee. It also has a good population of Rainbow Trout and great Large mouth Bass fishing if your into that. Bass fishing is usually best during summer. The Trout and Kokanee are good rite now! That reservoir once held the state record "26 Pound Brown Trout'. People around there (other fisherman, store owners) are very nice and are always willing to share helpful info on whats best rite now, where to go, and how to do it. That always helps.
Also, Crane Prairie which is close to Wickiup, is also a great lake to fish now - the end of summer. It also has the same main fish species of Wickiup Res. There are HUGE Rainbow's in Crane Prairie also known as "Crane-bow's". Fly fishing as well as conventional method's of fishing are both productive. Personally I target these 2 Cascade Lakes when I fish up there. I know at Crane Prairie there is a lodge on the water where you can rent a little aluminium boat with a little outboard motor for very cheap which allows you to access the entire lake. But I've fished from the bank with Power Bait and always caught fish. The preferred method is to slowly troll Rapala's or wedding rings with a worm at the hook. Also a simple can of White Corn is always deadly on both lakes. There are free camp sites all up and down the banks of both lakes. Also there are small cabins to great lodges you can rent as well. So you can still "make it special" while getting your Fish-on at the same time! Good luck if you DO end up out there, there are some BIG fish in both those lakes.

T
Throbbit _Shane
fuson22 said:
I personally fish central Oregon (near Bend, that are) every April and have for years. Always productive are the Cascade Lakes. There is a Ton of info online about these lakes. Simply type in "cascade lakes fishing Oregon" and you will find a lot of info. But I personally fish Wickiup Reservoir, Crane Prairie Reservoir, and Odell Lake. Wickiup is just west of La Pine. Very well known and big lake. Probably best known for it's HUGE Brown Trout and Kokanee. It also has a good population of Rainbow Trout and great Large mouth Bass fishing if your into that. Bass fishing is usually best during summer. The Trout and Kokanee are good rite now! That reservoir once held the state record "26 Pound Brown Trout'. People around there (other fisherman, store owners) are very nice and are always willing to share helpful info on whats best rite now, where to go, and how to do it. That always helps.
Also, Crane Prairie which is close to Wickiup, is also a great lake to fish now - the end of summer. It also has the same main fish species of Wickiup Res. There are HUGE Rainbow's in Crane Prairie also known as "Crane-bow's". Fly fishing as well as conventional method's of fishing are both productive. Personally I target these 2 Cascade Lakes when I fish up there. I know at Crane Prairie there is a lodge on the water where you can rent a little aluminium boat with a little outboard motor for very cheap which allows you to access the entire lake. But I've fished from the bank with Power Bait and always caught fish. The preferred method is to slowly troll Rapala's or wedding rings with a worm at the hook. Also a simple can of White Corn is always deadly on both lakes. There are free camp sites all up and down the banks of both lakes. Also there are small cabins to great lodges you can rent as well. So you can still "make it special" while getting your Fish-on at the same time! Good luck if you DO end up out there, there are some BIG fish in both those lakes.

These lakes wont open until the 4th week of April FYI.

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Keep an eye on Antelope Flat Reservoir; when it's finally accessible, it should be great fishing...and there's some BIG 'bows in there.