caught a carp on the fly

bigsteel

caught this ugly guy today on the north santiam....can anyone confirm if this is a carp or is it a squawfish..WTH is it???either way it put up a nice fight on the fly rod

Thats definitely not a Carp!! :) Sucker... dont know the actual name of them, but.. sucker.
Where did you pull that out off?

Years ago after I got started fly tying I headed to the headwaters of the deschutes up off of the Cascades Lakes Highway and hike in a mile or so to a beautiful hole right below a sweet looking riffle......I tied on my elk hair caddis and lovingly casted upstream and let my fly roll down the ripples and into the deep pool below.....it made three or four laps around the hole before something from deep down below darted up from the shadows and snatched my fly.....the fight was on.....could this have been that monster brookie I had heard of?....nope.....I landed a 14" white fish....I was hoping my first would have been a native brooky....but nevertheless, I had successfully tricked my first of what would become thousands of fish onto my line. I'll never forget that ugly thing........

Top Bottom