Carrying your fish while hking your river/lakes

G
GMR
Just curious what other OFF members use to carry there fish when hiking about.
Ive seen Burlap Sacks and the bag used to hold the tube style chairs used.
I have friends that sew canvas all the time and Im thinking about designing my own to use. Just looking for ideas..

Right now im thinking 10oz canvas
Sewn on clips for tightening the bag around the fish to make it easier to pack.
Drawstring or Roll down top like whats on a dry bag.
Still working on size I would want it to be.

T
tnffishman
I usually use the chair bags when I can remember them, they work great for one fish up to 20 pounds. Two fish, or a giant nook lets say is a back-breaker literally

H
Herefishyfishy
A stick through the gills and over the shoulder is something I've seen a lot

J
JeannaJigs
I used to use a dry bag....it kept the fish nice and cool, and was a breeze cleaning after so it didn't reak to high heaven. Rolled up nice and small in the bottom of my backpack when not in use.

T
Thuggin4Life
I keep garbage bags in my backpack. then i stuff the bag/fish combo back into my pack.

F
fishtales
The current set up I have in the back of my fishing jacket is a stick with couple pieces of heavy bright green fishing line to tie fish... Kind of primitive… Also, known to use a plastic grocery bag (like from Safeway) or the tackle box.

I’m also a fan of walking with my pole aimed behind when I walk back. Call it superstition I don’t know. : )

T
Thuggin4Life
So with this carabiner you just hike back to your rig with a fish clipped to your side?

troutdude
troutdude
Thuggin4Life said:
So with this carabiner you just hike back to your rig with a fish clipped to your side?

Now THAT would be a site to see, if was a 60 pound Nook! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I
imfishing
My meat hauler...

My meat hauler...

Greetings all...

I use the badlands OX.

I can haul out 3 fish no problem.

and it holds my lunch and some gear to.

Gut it, stuff in garbage bag, stuff in King pillow case, wrap pillow case with rope to secure = MEATBAG

Backpack splits in half - Put meat bag in/on meat shelf.

Nice.

C
chrisohm
I never carry my fish, I have Chuck Norris just drop kick them to my house no matter what distance! Of course I let him keep the nicest fish so I don't get to meet his third fist. Actually I use a simple stringer for trout or I use a garbage bag and my pack just like Thuggin.

F
fishingfreak
I use Caribeaners from Home Depot and use chairbags and just clip them to my vest or backpack. Works good. Bigdog gave me that idea the 1st time we did a long hike.

Last edited:
B
BobbiDollPDX
chrisohm said:
I never carry my fish, I have Chuck Norris just drop kick them to my house no matter what distance!

Wow, I was going to say I seldom have to carry my fish because when I bat my eyelashes a chivalrous man almost always comes to help, but Chuck Norris is way better.

M
metalfisher76
Thuggin4Life said:

Juuust carry it, actually.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
BobbiDollPDX said:
Wow, I was going to say I seldom have to carry my fish because when I bat my eyelashes a chivalrous man almost always comes to help, but Chuck Norris is way better.

Dang,how long are those eyelashes?? :think: :lol: Chuck Norris isn't bad...with a bag over his head! :( :lol: :lol:

troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher said:
Dang,how long are those eyelashes?? :think: :lol: Chuck Norris isn't bad...with a bag over his head! :( :lol: :lol:

And therein lies the answer to that infamous question...

Who was the "Unknown Comic"? :lol::lol::lol:

(pardon the brief hijack)

T
Thuggin4Life
metalfisher76 said:
Juuust carry it, actually.

oh got it.

I also forgot that i use my cooler that i keep in the boat to store fish and pack them in nice with a bag of ice for the ride home. then i just carry the fish inside when i get home.

H
Hawk
My friend Bigfeets carries my fish & a jug of Rum.

hahahahaho
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:cool::cool::cool:

H
halibuthitman
Thuggin4Life said:
I keep garbage bags in my backpack. then i stuff the bag/fish combo back into my pack.
ever accidentially grabbed a scented bag? lol.... if you let your fish go... you don't have to carry or clean them. But when I do retain I use a section of small chain and a biner.