Cape Meares Lake advice?

P
psguardian
Just got my bench fully equipped (well with the necessities anyway), want to tie some patterns that will be of use at Cape Meares Lake by Tillamook.

Anyone know what works out there?

~psguardian

S
Sinkline
psguardian said:
Just got my bench fully equipped (well with the necessities anyway), want to tie some patterns that will be of use at Cape Meares Lake by Tillamook.

Anyone know what works out there?

~psguardian

Cape Meares is only 6'-7' deep at it's deepest and it warms quickly once the weather turns toward Spring. Once the water warms there is quite a bit of weed growth. Better be getting there shortly for best fishing.

I use to fish there some and we always used a size #14 soft hackle with the front 2/3 of the body peacock herl and the last 1/3 bright orange rabbit. The fly was ribbed with fine gold wire. We fished that pattern on a floating line and used a slow hand-twist retrieve, or just trolled it with the float tube. If the fish are hanging deeper try a small (#10) weighted brown or olive Wooly Bugger or similar leech like pattern. Because the water is so shallow I would still use the floating line with the weighted Bugger and let it sink before your retrieve.

Good luck.

Randy

P
psguardian
Thanks Randy. I'm going to be camping 3rd wknd of June (17/18/19) so it will be a close thing with the weeds most likely. Is it worth trying any dry patterns there? My hook selection is pretty sparse as of yet, 12, 14, 16 dry & 8 scud are all I've got. (not likely to be allowed any more shopping before the trip either lol)

I'll be shore bound & have a 5yr old following along (he likes to cast his button reel but hasn't caught anything yet). Are there any 'best point of access' to the deeper areas from land?

~psguardian

S
Sinkline
psguardian said:
Thanks Randy. I'm going to be camping 3rd wknd of June (17/18/19) so it will be a close thing with the weeds most likely. Is it worth trying any dry patterns there? My hook selection is pretty sparse as of yet, 12, 14, 16 dry & 8 scud are all I've got. (not likely to be allowed any more shopping before the trip either lol)

I'll be shore bound & have a 5yr old following along (he likes to cast his button reel but hasn't caught anything yet). Are there any 'best point of access' to the deeper areas from land?

~psguardian

I've taken my wife bait fishing there many times (she grew up in Tillamook). We fished from the bank and always did fairly well so long as we were early in the year. The lake doesn't carryover very many fish as the Commorants eat the heck out of the fish, and the water gets very warm during Summer. It's a true "Put & Take" kind of lake.

There is only road access to about 1/3 of the shorline of the lake. For a coastal lake, Cape Meares has nice solitude with most of it's shorline undeveloped. The paved road just touches the lake on it's SE edge and there are a few gravel pull-outs right along the paved road. We always do well fishing right along that piece of shore just east of the old worn-out little dock that is there. You can't miss were I am speaking of once you see it.

Good luck.

Randy

P
psguardian
On google maps I see the SE corner looks to be mostly deep, is there any wading room there, or does it just shelf off a few feet in?

~psguardian

S
Sinkline
psguardian said:
On google maps I see the SE corner looks to be mostly deep, is there any wading room there, or does it just shelf off a few feet in?

~psguardian

The area I spoke of drops off a little quicker than most of the lake but the majority of the lake would allow an angler to wade out a little if that is what you wish to do. I have never waded in the lake so I can't tell you what the bottom is like for wading??? Always fished from tubes or the bank.

There is an easy to use unimproved boat ramp along the western end (south/middle shore) of the short stretch of blacktop that touches the lake. The ramp is suitable for small light boats as the depth doesn't drop away quickly at the ramp.

Randy

P
psguardian
I won't have any floatation avail on this trip, but it sounds like a good place to park.

Any idea of the bug life there? Does the wind blow away all the top-side bugs? Should I just go with nymphs & leechy types?

~psguardian

S
Sinkline
psguardian said:
I won't have any floatation avail on this trip, but it sounds like a good place to park.

Any idea of the bug life there? Does the wind blow away all the top-side bugs? Should I just go with nymphs & leechy types?

~psguardian

Use sub-surface flys. For every adult bug a stillwater trout sips off the surface film they are taking dozen more that are emerging. Of course, these are newly stocked hatchery fish so they don't really know what's "up" with the food chain anyway. :rolleyes:

When my kids were young I sat them on the back seat of our 12' boat where they held their ultra-light spin rods and pulled a fly along as I rowed. Our best stocked trout trolling fly was the #14 soft hackle all purpose attractor fly I described earlier in this thread. We trolled this fly just under the surface as slow as I could make the boat move and the hungry little stockers attacked it without hesitation! The kids caught dozens of fish a day like that so long as their interest stayed with the rod..., you know how young kids are! :lol:

Since you have no boat I would just cast and use a very slow hand-twist retrieve. If anyone is using a spinning rod they can fish the fly with a clear casting bubble and about 5' of leader trailing the bubble.

Remember, these are stocked catchable trout and they do not follow the same rules wild, or naturalized carryover trout live by.

Hope some of this helps you catch fish.

Randy

P
psguardian
That is a great point, I'm thinking like they're wilds. Thanks for the tips.

I think my boy will love this trip.

~psguardian

B
Born2Fish55
psguardian said:

~psguardian

;)Hellgrammites and scuds..... I use a 4# line with a 3' sinking tip with small Beaded nymphs (12 – 16) or Salmon fly nymphs in larger sizes (8 – 12).... she is the mother of all snag and hang up lakes when the weeds get a hold... light tippets work best, but tend to snap off easily… bring extra flies!!! I have had decent action off a floating fly and a trailing nymph if hatches are present. Fish anywhere you can locate some structure or cover and you will tie into a few. However, the best fishing is from a tube, canoe or small boat. I have also used Poppers in there with a little success if the fish are in the mood.

As to the wading, I have tried but be aware that it is a 'muck' bottom, however that can be to your advantage as you can slowly stir the mud without causing too much vibration or noise. The slurry that you create can bring in fish, especially if you move the front of your foot to cause a sucking action. Short cast to the outer edges of the ‘fog’ you kick up. Some nice fish can be taken, but expect primarily a Hatchery ‘clone’ fish show. Some good size Bass are in there too, along with Bullhead Cats and Bluegill, and thanks to ODFW, there are some Broodstock/Recycled Steelhead in there mixed with the random holdover fish.

Now a couple of tips… wade VERY slow and use a wading staff (never go into water deeper than your waist unless you have a PFD strong enough to pull you and your waders out of the muck)… if shore fishing, try along the dike for best success… use a little Smelly Jelly for added chances at fish.... fish very early or very late!!!

Good luck… tight lines and scream’n reels!:pray:

P
psguardian
Sinkline said:
...I use to fish there some and we always used a size #14 soft hackle with the front 2/3 of the body peacock herl and the last 1/3 bright orange rabbit. The fly was ribbed with fine gold wire...

Something like this? (first ever fly) Didn't have any bright orange dub, but fire orange thread should provide a similar effect right?
2011-06-06%25252021.48.28.jpg

~psguardian