Buying my first boat

G
GDBrown
bd2cool said:
I am with hawk on the gas and lights-87 octane,50:1 oil and I add seafoam to my tanks.
It took it only one sets of popped bulbs to remember to unplugged my lighs.

I must really be slow, I popped half a dozen before I figure it out. Now I'm thinking of putting a ground wire switch in the cab so I just have to flip the switch and off goes the power to the lights.:D

GD

J
joesnuffy
Well I was finally able to get out on the water briefly to test out the boat. The wind was up, the clouds were overhead and there were ZERO people on the water.

The boat ran great and I can't wait for some better weather (this week?) so i can actually fish out of it.

btw, the boat docks had been removed for the winter so we had to launch without one. Even with a cross wind it was pretty easy to get out and in. With 2 people at least.

B
bd2cool
The boat is looking good!
Glad that you got it out.
Feel good to be on the water don't it.

I have found that fishing is great in cold weather.
Get a heater,good boots,hand warmer,good hat, and lots of warm clothing and you set to go.

These are pictures of my 14 foot V-hull trolling in the snow at Dexter lake last year.
The fishing was great.

H
Hawk
Looks good Bro...

i see you remembered to put in the Plug.

:lol::lol::lol:

J
joesnuffy
i put the plug in before i left home :p

anybody installed a heater in a boat before? I was thinking about getting a heater that you connect to the top of a propane tank.......

B
bd2cool
I am using a Coleman SportCat ™ Perfectemp™ Catalytic Heater. It does pretty good.
Needless to say to keep it away frrom your gas tank and battery.

J
joesnuffy
I want to go fishing here in an hour but i don't have anybody to help me launch the boat..... ARGH!!!!

Sunny, no wind. Would be a nice couple hours...... :(

H
Hawk
Most of the time i launch & retrieve my boat by myself. When water is warm i just use ol' tennies or flip flops. When cold i use my chest waders.

no Problema.

:lol::lol::lol:

J
joesnuffy
I've got breathable and neoprean chest waders. I've also got a pair of hip waders. I'm ready to rock!!!

tomorrows weather is supposed to be nice so i'm headed to Brownlee Res.

B
bd2cool
Don't forget hand warmer and a good hat!

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
get a spare plug . and some spare rod holders . spark plugs , wire connectors , wire crimper , wheel bearings , light bulbs , fuel bulb , blah , blah . . . .

H
halibuthitman
fishinmachine said:
Having had my fair share of boat "issues", I would say before any serious adventures are attempted, check the water pump, fuel lines, electrical connections, and spark plugs. After all that is confirmed as a-ok, proceed to spend at least 1.5X (conservative estimate usually ends up around 10-15X) the paid value of the boat on electronics, down riggers, out riggers, new rods and reels, rod holders for fishing, rod holders for storing the extra rods, nets, net holders, gaffs, stringers, new tackle storage, cup holders, ice chests for frosty's and lunch, coolers for fish, coolers for bait, fish whackers, anchor, anchor rope, drift sock, anchor puller, crab traps, crab davit, 5 crab measure's, floaty thing for keys, paddles, trolling motor, extra plug, backup to extra plug, life jackets, current copy of fishin regs, and finally a catchy name. By the time you assemble all this it will be time for a bigger boat. :D

the best part is as soon as you buy all that crap... you never catch fish anymore!!

K
kfallscody
The biggest piece of advice I can give is to wear your life jacket 100% of the time! I will save some typing time and just link to my post where I wrote about my experience not wearing my life jacket... am lucky to be here today.

T
Throbbit _Shane
kfallscody said:
The biggest piece of advice I can give is to wear your life jacket 100% of the time! I will save some typing time and just link to my post where I wrote about my experience not wearing my life jacket... am lucky to be here today.

Wow what a crazy story, glad you guys made it through that. You ever fish the williamson river? I missed a chance to go in august, wish i could of went. :mad:

K
kfallscody
Yeah I have fished the williamson river a fair bit, always have done pretty good. I usually use a 1/8th oz kastmaster and have yet to get skunked. :) Although I got a new fly fishing rig so I will have to try that out come May :).

This last year on the opening weekend of trout season I hooked a 23" brown trout, largest trout I ever caught in moving water! I am ready for another one.. :)

If you are headed this way to fish hit me up, I might be able to help ya out a bit. :) I know I will be HOPEFULLY heading your way a LOT this year to fish.

T
Throbbit _Shane
kfallscody said:
Yeah I have fished the williamson river a fair bit, always have done pretty good. I usually use a 1/8th oz kastmaster and have yet to get skunked. :) Although I got a new fly fishing rig so I will have to try that out come May :).

This last year on the opening weekend of trout season I hooked a 23" brown trout, largest trout I ever caught in moving water! I am ready for another one.. :)

If you are headed this way to fish hit me up, I might be able to help ya out a bit. :) I know I will be HOPEFULLY heading your way a LOT this year to fish.

The guy i was supposed to go with was telling me his 8yr son caught his first trout in septermber out there, he said it was 28inches. :shock: Puts the trout i catch to shame lol. I should of went there instead of hyatt lake oct 30th.

This year im gonna try to learn to fish the rogue and applegate rivers. Its been awhile since iv fished for steelhead. Ill try to post reports on here, espically if i hook into one.

K
kfallscody
The Klamath Lake does well in the spring but by summer it is pretty nasty. That is where most of the big fish are. I do have a buddy who landed a 28" trout on the williamson with a 3 wt fly rod. Took him nearly 45 minutes to get it in. Hell he was standing there drinking beer fighting the fish.. lol. Was a beauty for sure.

I will appreciate any insight/knowledge you have on the applegate and rogue river. I have only found gold in the applegate river, never any fish.. :). My biggest problem is knowing where to go, there does not seem to be much public access availble to those rivers, at least from what I can tell. :(