Braided line w/ swimbaits

T
TurnerBassin91
Hey guys, this is directed towards all the fishermen who throw 5-9 inch swimbaits quite regularly. So, I began throwing 50 pound braid for most of my swimbait fishing intstead of straight fluoro. The reason for this is so I can use a smaller reel such as a Curado 200e5 and still throw larger baits since the diameter of braid is so thin. I do tie on a leader as well, 20 lb Seagar Abrazx works great for me. Just wondering if you guys prefer braid or fuoro, and why? Feel free to ask any questions related to this topic.

N
ninja2010
firstly, welcome to the forum...

regarding my preference... well, i'm a bit biased but i love braid. why?

a) very, very sensitive - you feel everything
b) no memory
c) as you've stated, smaller diameter - so less surface tension resistance to get the swimbait/crankbait down fast
d) easy hookset - no stretch, so a slight twitch will set the hook without the samurai swing.
e) braid doesn't deteriorate under uv, so when the front half of the spool is getting old, just strip off, invert and re-spool - 2 spools of line in 1!

there are some cons, though... wind knots - braid will wrap your tip much easier than mono/fluoro, low abrasion resistance - if it's frayed, re-tie.

i always tie at least 6 feet of shock leader; longer if i go offshore in the salt.

T
tomriker
ninja2010 said:
there are some cons, though... wind knots - braid will wrap your tip much easier than mono/fluoro, low abrasion resistance - if it's frayed, re-tie.

i always tie at least 6 feet of shock leader; longer if i go offshore in the salt.

regarding the braid wraping around the tip, get a rod with twisted eyes (don't know what it's really called though) then it doesn't get twisted at all! i love braid too because i like to fish jig in heavy cover and i got tired of breaking off gear all the time. i just go strait 50lb braid and i've bent more hooks than i've ever lost since i switched! i even use the same braid for my hula poppers and topwater gear and swimbaits as well. never been a fan of leader myself

R
ryan808
The spiral wrapped guides help a lot, i can't imagine fishing a rod with the guides conventionally up anymore. With the tip pointing down like a spinning rod, you get less tangles. But back to the subject, the majority of my setups are braid with a leader attached. If your looking into a specific brand, try the Daiwa braid, i love that stuff. Hands down the smoothest and most supple braid ive used, perfect for your swimbaits.

TR, i can't imagine you fishing other than braid, can you imagine how many black jigs would be swimming at your place :D

S
skunk
Excellent topic, I will try braid the next time I'm fishing swimbaits in the salt.

F
Finneus Polebender
Luv me some braid 50 lb has been my fave used to use spider wire dont care for the latest versions been rollin with the tuff line really like it.

C
colbypearson
WHATS UP! what turner is it? Haha i have been using braid off and on but i like 25# abraz-x mostly, i have braid on my xh sb rod right now but i use it for mission fish and other weedless baits because it has no stretch, i have been throwing swimbaits 70+% of my time on the water, pm me, text, whatever and we can talk swimbaits. PS. THAT 50# BRAID WILL BREAK IF YOUR REEL STOPS OR BACKLASHES MID CAST, i would go 65# atleast to prevent casting off baits i know guys who go 80# but i dont like it that heavy, 25lb abraz-x dtraight lined is some strong stuff i havent casted a bait off with it yet.

Last edited: