Bonneville dam

F
FishSchooler
I used 2 ounces when I was plunking... held fine...

A
ArcticAmoeba
FishSchooler said:
This year is gonna be one short season with all the numbers... 15000 nooks again, 1600 jacks, 6100 coho, and 7300 steelies, and 1400 wild steelies, 1 sockeye, and 32 lampreys.

They are probably going to extend the Chinook retention, and perhaps up it to 2 adult Chinook per day, along with other bag limits, potential to have upwards of 10 fish onboard fairly easily, per person...Down lower in the Big Creek of course, where the water runs red because of the murder sessions being put in by some guys...And the sockeye, was probably a mis-ident. Like when they said they had a few Coho over Bonne earlier this year...It gets to be comical sometimes.

F
Fishtopher
AAAAAaaaaaahhh!!

AAAAAaaaaaahhh!!

Man...I told myself I was done nookin this year on the big C, but, but, I just can't take it!!!:wall::wall::wall: All this fish talk...I gotta go...I wish I could go now...For sure goin in the a.m.. I was just goin through a tackle box from my best friends grandfather who past last year. All kinds of old stuff!! Crazy homemade salmon slayers!, I found a mouse jig!! Little beady eyes, tail and all. I gotta try it all!! Flashers, Fenders and Spinners OH MY!

(I GOT THE ITCH)

can't really leave right now...On one hand fish, oh sweet fishing....On the other hand, bachelor party starts in an hour.
:think::think::think::think::think:
I wish my forefathers would have left me some notes...I need guidance.:pray:

P.S. Im not using the mouse jig for Salmon of course.

F
FishSchooler
I know someone who is goin tomorrow. Ill post his reward. Cchinook also is there today. I thinks he'll catch a 35 pounder or so.

A
ArcticAmoeba
FISHTOPHER - GO FISHING... It is way cooler than any party, regardless of where staged, & what/who entertains...Ahem. I am going to try to sway you in the right direction here, so here goes...Yesterday, and Today, at Warrendale, just below the dam, was hotter than a safari! One day there were 30 or so fish banked, and today I believe was a little worse, but still lots of fish. Steelhead too. And not more than 40 or 50 plunkers can squeeze in there, so that will give you an idea of your odds. The night bite is actually your best bet out there, so maybe you will be O.K., but still fishing is way cooler than a party, especially Salmon fishing...

L
luv2fish
again...i was at bonneville...fishing from bardford island....but the opposit side..aas there was no current at the place where i usually fish from....anyhooo got one strong bite..and it seemed like the fish was there for a while...my buddy john draw my attention to my rod....and the fish was still there...and i hooked it but when i was half way, it came off and like every other day....bummer...no fish...anyways i was using electric watermelon with 2 additional watermelon corkiess and a copper # 5 blue fox spinner on slider ( thanks for the tip arctic amoeba)...i got my rig out of water and i examined what part it hit....it was the spinner ( had full scratch mark of typical salmon tug)......anyways i have a question which i'm not sure about....the spot where we were fishing, there was lot of sturgeon activity going on ( oversize sturgeon)...does it scare salmon....i know its silly to think but the way sturgeon were jumping in air and then they literally were laying on the top and you can see their fins like shark fin...so if anybody knows anything...i'll appreciate it..

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have heard that when you see a bunch of sturgeys cresting or completely airing out, that it will push Salmon to single lanes, which can be as little as 5 feet wide in the Colu. There may be 3 or 4 lanes that the salmon funnel into, but still in aRiver that gets over a 1/4 mile wide, kind of hard to target fish in a total lane of 5 feet or so...But farther down the River there has been better luck with hook ups. Although it sounds like you are hitting the nail on the head Raj. You are just having problems keeping the fish from spitting the hook. Maybe it ran towords ya for a second, giving you a little bit of slack, which is just enough for the fish to roll away, and dislodge the hook all by its lonesome. Plunking on th eColumbia does require a dedicated plunking rig, with heavy mainline, and leaders, not to mention, heavier tossing(rod) and retrieval(reel) gear. Don't worry, at least you know it was toothy, probably larger size chinook if they are laeving decent gouges in your spinners. Keep trying what you know is getting interest from the fish. You can see that you are getting the fish on, now it is just refining your beaching tactics. And maybe that means just horsing the fish to the bank, and not really giving it a chance to run around,(my favorite part) but that is how i notice folks who are using a lot of sinker get them landed anyways. We'll get out there and tag team 'em as soon as they run thick, at least on the Sandy man! Then I know we can bank a few, if the bite gets a little hotter, and more consistent...

F
Fishtopher
ArcticAmoeba said:
FISHTOPHER - GO FISHING... It is way cooler than any party, regardless of where staged, & what/who entertains...Ahem. I am going to try to sway you in the right direction here, so here goes...Yesterday, and Today, at Warrendale, just below the dam, was hotter than a safari! One day there were 30 or so fish banked, and today I believe was a little worse, but still lots of fish. Steelhead too. And not more than 40 or 50 plunkers can squeeze in there, so that will give you an idea of your odds. The night bite is actually your best bet out there, so maybe you will be O.K., but still fishing is way cooler than a party, especially Salmon fishing...

:)...:D...:lol:...Now I don't care who y'are,that's funny!! 'Specially the "what/who" part!!! can't say I've ever been entertained by a "what" :)naughty:)at a party...only "who"'s.:cool:
I actually went to the bach. party, but only 'cause we go back to 3rd grade.
We had a good time, but I probably missed my 45#er in the process:(
If I would have read your post, it would of been close...(er)!
With that being said, you can bet your bottom "crawler" I'll be there bright and early tomorrow!!
Oh, and Arctic, thank you for trying to lead me down the path of peace, serenity, tranquility, and fish-onity;):lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
hopefully the Baro will come back up a half point, and really turn the bite on...No prob on the tryin to get you to go fish. I guess 3rd grade is a while, so probably worth it huh? Hope it was fun, just be ready for some real head bangers...A friend who plunks at Warrendale caught 2 fat, 23" jack, and a 19 pounder, that he was sure weighed in excess of 30, before he saw it on the bank. Real hard fighters comin up from the Columbia. Good Luck man!

F
Fishtopher
Now theres somethin I want to learn more about...barometer and its effects on fish activity. Sounds like a good reason to blame my chi. drought on. Cuz the only other thing it could be is the way I'm holdin my jaw.:D:lol::think:

L
luv2fish
hey arctic, when your gonna fish next at columbia....i work from home and have a lil boy to take care of but i'll arrange daycare for that particular day , if we decide to hook up...lemme know and thanks for your reply.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Fishtopher said:
Now theres somethin I want to learn more about...barometer and its effects on fish activity. Sounds like a good reason to blame my chi. drought on. Cuz the only other thing it could be is the way I'm holdin my jaw.:D:lol::think:

As far as the barometer goes, fish for the Salmon/Steel when it is above 30...Fish actually get migranes when the pressure dips below that, and the bite turns off, not completely, but it does get harder to get anything to bite. I have increased my hookups, by fishing above 30 on the baro, and and learnig the sections of water I drift. both of those things have helped a lot. Yesterday the baro started at 30 real early, and was on the drop all day, when I went fishing, the day before, I had a wild day, big piggo fish, and a bunch of jacks...Yesterday, only one Jack for three holes drifted, but, and wild, but still not like the day before.

Raj - PM sent...

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
I guess I need to start learnin about moon phases and baros too, make the best out of my few salmon/steelie fishin days a year. What if you dont actually have a barometer?
I actually might go again if my mom's friend's son goes cause he didn't go on sunday, which he told us that he would go and I couldnt go so I was lucky that he didn't go so he might go next weekend cause its the last weekend of the season and he has to work on weekdays so he can't fish on weekdays which is good for me cause I have school and it starts at 8:10 so I can't fish before school and I have homework to do and I am talking just like one of my teachers who is like 100 feet tall(you get my point) and he talks really fast so he could finish this sentence in a second! :lol: I bet no one got that. :lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
What if you dont actually have a barometer?If you don't own one, go online to a weather site, and look it up, pretty easy onlocal news stations pages...

F
FishSchooler
Oh doh... :doh:

F
FishSchooler
Counts going down... 7500 yesterday and around 5000 steelies... only 2000 cohos too. wow, the counts state that they keep getting these lonely "sockeyes" every day...

F
FishSchooler
Wow... I never knew that... :shock:
Sarcasm can be your enemy sometimes... *sigh* :lol:

F
FishFinger
This ain't basket weaving...

This ain't basket weaving...

I understand the finals are kinda tough, you have to actually catch a virtual fish online to pass the course

F
FishSchooler
Erm... umm... okay....

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have taken the Steelhead Fishing course, it was put on by Mr. Gorman. He was a pretty knowledeable guy, lots of good ingo to get you stared. It is really hands on too, lots of river time. I actually caught quite a few fish during the class, and we got extra credit for arranging to be fishing the hour before sunrise.