Bobber and Egg for Coho

So I've never gone after Coho using Bobber and Egg and was wondering if you rig up the same way you do for Kings and just tone it down a bit with a smaller chunk of egg or if it's a completely different set up. Any suggestions?

So I've never gone after Coho using Bobber and Egg and was wondering if you rig up the same way you do for Kings and just tone it down a bit with a smaller chunk of egg or if it's a completely different set up. Any suggestions?

Purty much....I have seen coho in the costal tidewater eat chinook sizes baits. With as quickly as coho move through a section of river they are a little easier to target with drift gear.

I usually drift for em or spoon and spinner em...however I had a few Banner days on pinks on the Puyallup River and want to try out some of my freshly cured eggs!

Last edited:
Depends on where your fishing... for coastal coho I've never had a problem getting a bite on my Fall nook setup.. For the Sandy river those things we're as finicky as he11! My buddy was using a #4 hook, 8lb. flouro and the smallest split shot they make and was KILLING them.. but me I was using slightly larger set up and only got two hook ups... The guys that were getting bites were using little to no weight at all and very light line.

I've caught coho on bobber and eggs up river on the Alsea. I was using a slip bobber set up with an egg loop. If you don't know how to tie this up we have a video on how to do it. I was using a 25cent size piece or roe.

bobnegg

bobnegg

useing fresh coho eggs i absolutely slay the coho on bobber and egg put on a slip bobber 1/2 ounce style then tie up a normal drift rig setup weighted accordingly to bob size drop your favorite colored coho corkie on use a decent size gob of eggs last year i was throwing a gob about half the size of a golf ball and my bobbers were takeing off up river caught a ton of fish this way early morn until sun starts to come out and if theres a lot of fish around you wont be accdently foul hkn them and spookn them good luck

for inland river fishing for silvers...good rule of thumb is use a bobber with one oz. weight atleast....1-1/2 or 2 even.. for coastal rivers...i use heavier bobber but then i keep lighter lines then nook and well...for chinnok i use say a little less than fist size roe....for coho i'll say a lil less...infact last year my friend keep hooking one after another but they were all wild....this was at nestucca river near the town of beaver....

at clackamas i still use 1 or 2 ounce weight with float for silvers..although a l lighter line then chinook

Top Bottom