Boats vs bank anglers who has the "right of way"

D
dcarbonari
So I had an altercation with a gentleman trolling for salmon around Swan Island the other day which sparked this question. What happened is I have a bank spot that I like and very regularly use for sturgeon and someone was trolling for salmon about 20-30yds from the bank. Since I was going for sturgeon from the bank I was using surf rods and was having to throw about 80-90yds out. I politely warned the man that he was going to run over me if he kept his present course and instantly he started cussing ans swearing at me for stealing his fishing spots. This brought me to a question that I want to hear your opinion on because I never really knew what the real etiquette for this type of situation is. Who has the right of way here the person in the boat or the person on the bank? Should the person trolling either pull lines for the 20-30yds along the bank as they pass the bank angler or maneuver around them? Or should the bank angler pull lines for the boat to pass? From my point of view as a person that primarily fishes from the bank I would think the boaters would move because with most places bank fishing you are very limited for where you can throw your lines and don't have access to most of the lake or river where on a boat you do. Along with that the boater would only be passing by and not anchoring or be fishing that particular spot for a long period of time. I am very interested to hear what to hear people think especially those that are fishing primarily on boats. Who has the right of way? The boater of the bank angler?

D
DrTheopolis
Of all the people I fish out of a boat with, all of them yield to bank anglers. For multiple reasons -- they have much less area to fish. For another, the most basic of fishing rules -- they were there first.

Even in the Columbia off Frenchman's Bar, where they kayak their lines out a couple of hundred yards. What's the difference if that bankie was in a boat and anchored there? Sure, anchoring in a well-established trolling lane is poor form, but in places like Meldrum, Frenchman's, or even Kelly Point, those spots are for bank fishermen. It's not a big deal to reel up your trolling gear -- you were probably due to check it anyway.

troutdude
troutdude
1. NO one "owns" any fishing spots.
2. You were there first.
3. You have a limited number of places to cast, when banking it.
4. Boaters have the WHOLE river (or lake), to fish in.

So anyone piloting a boat is, IMO, a complete ASS--if they don't move aside, from a bankie's lines!!!

I've had boats literally pull up, and sit on top of the only spot that I can hit from the bank. And just sit, and sit, and sit...for a long time. Those are the ones who are in danger--of getting walloped--by my weights or lures. Just sayin'...

P.S. If a bank fisherman's weights, or lures, hit your damned boat. Don't be an idiot. There's no way that you can't then know; that you are in the wrong spot!

P.P.S. Now let me tell you...how I really feel...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Slo
Casting Call
Casting Call
troutdude;n612191 said:
1. NO one "owns" any fishing spots.
2. You were there first..

So anyone piloting a boat is, IMO, a complete ASS--if they don't move aside, from a bankie's lines!!!

I've had boats literally pull up, and sit on top of the only spot that I can hit from the bank. And just sit, and sit, and sit...for a long time. Those are the ones who are in danger--of getting walloped--by my weights or lures. Just sayin'...

P.S. If a bank fisherman's weights, or lures, hit your damned boat. Don't be an idiot. There's no way that you can't then know; that you are in the wrong spot!

P.P.S. Now let me tell you...how I really feel...
Possession is 9/10s of the law. You were there first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A good Samson sling with large/heavy stones will do the trick. Stones don't have your name on them. If you get shot at call 911 then help will come. Don't forget to get a hull number. You can just move to another spot or go home. Tony

4labs
4labs
I fish both bank and boat. There's a big difference between casting spinners and having almost 250ft of line out in a known trolling lane. If the trolling path is inside of your line direction and you knowingly cast in there paths it wont be a pleasant outcome.
How many boats are using that line ? Honestly its a case of courtesy on both party's. I have at times not fish in certain spots because of high boat traffic and on the other hand have not trolled when I see more than one person fishing off the bank or at least moved over out of there path.
I don't know the area you fish and only fish the south coast but the one thing I have noticed is the further north you go the people seem to have a hotter temper.

Casting Call
Casting Call
If someone is trolling a hundred feet of line as you are, you don't come on top of his troll. That's low-holing, they were there first same as going over a plunker. Tony

C
colt
Way i figure it, and i havent salmon fished much, bank fishermen have right of way. When i fish out of my boat, sometimes i come across people on the bank. Usually just avoid those places altogether. Should the need arise that i fish the same bank people are on, i would go around them and continue on my fishing after i pass. If its a popular trolling lane and theres also people bank fishing, i say maybe the trolling lane should move out a little bit more to allow both parties to be able to enjoy the water.

If people really have to get combative in order to fish, somethings wrong. I get that sometimes it is a race to the spot but give it up if you get beat or theres no room for another.

As was mentioned before, both parties should show respect. I would rather have a warning and avoid tangled lines. I do know people will snag lines just to cut and run. Fishing should be relaxing, not a battleground on water.

P
pinstriper
As a kayaker I end up in shallower water and closer to the bank than, say, a powerboat. Whenever I'm approaching fishermen on the bank I try to see how far out their lines are, or just guess at how far they might have cast, and go around. A few times I've ended up on a line where I'm closer than I intended, and just call out "how far out are you ?" and been told "you're fine".

No one "owns" any fishing spot, except the guy who got there first. If that's a bankie, fine. If that's a boat that, say, anchors up within casting distance from shore, that may or may not be poor form (think back bouncing or back trolling on a small river). But they certainly shouldn't pull up and do that where a bankie is already working that water.

The fact that the boater got hot under the collar, and then confessed it was because he thought it was "his" spot, is double proof that the boater is a dipstick.

Flinging lead into or over the boat might feel good to ponder but would only escalate the situation. I will admit to casting in front of an approaching boat while banking, just to give them a sense of where I am casting to.

Reactions: colt
Markk
Markk
I always give the right away to a bank fisherman. I have the whole river to fish.

troutdude
troutdude
Markk;n612271 said:
I always give the right away to a bank fisherman. I have the whole river to fish.

BOOM!!! Sure wish that all boaters, would do that. You da man.

hobster
hobster
Markk;n612271 said:

Simply stated and right on! I’m a bank maggot 90 percent of the time and most boats are respectful and move on. We have a small area to fish and they have more drifts and lots of water. I don’t mind sharing the hole for a while with a courteous boat. I’m pretty chill, we can all work together, except when someone is plugging through a bankies hole. Super rude and uncalled for!

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
hobster;n612297 said:
Simply stated and right on! I’m a bank maggot 90 percent of the time and most boats are respectful and move on. We have a small area to fish and they have more drifts and lots of water. I don’t mind sharing the hole for a while with a courteous boat. I’m pretty chill, we can all work together, except when someone is plugging through a bankies hole. Super rude and uncalled for!

Exactly. I don't mind reeling in, to let a boat pass by. Or even share a large enough area, for a few casts amongst us. But it's flat out rude, for a boater, to sit on the only spot that I can cast too. So that I can no longer fish there!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Fishing is a sport and it's just good sportsmanship and manners for boater to give bank fishermen a wide berth. I do everything I can to stay out of bank fishermens way especially when fishing the ocean.;)

Reactions: Raincatcher
troutdude
troutdude
Irishrover;n612345 especially when fishing the ocean.;)[/QUOTE said:
ROTFL! Good one Lonn!