Boat titles

T
TimberTodd
I sold my Nucanoe and am now looking into smaller drift boats or prams (12' -14') that I can stand and cast in. I have seen a few advertised that do not have a title. Are there issues with registering one without a title if I am going to use an electric motor on it?

N
n8r1
I registered a boat that had never been registered before last summer. It also had no title. First you have to go on the State Marine Board's website and download the forms. Then you send them in to Salem and wait a few weeks while they check up the hull # and a few other things. Once that's done you have to bring the boat in to be inspected. I did this at the Multnomah County Marine Patrol located off Marine Dr on the Columbia River. This takes about 5 minutes; all they do is a quick once over on your boat and double check the hull #. Finally, you get assigned a number and tags which you put on the side of your boat. The tags are mailed to you but you have to buy the numbers/letters yourself. I picked up mine at Englund Marine.

T
TimberTodd
Thank you for the information. I'm not as skeptical about that now.

Troutski
Troutski
Lost title...

Lost title...

Keep in mind there is a real difference between a boat that has never been registered and one that has a "lost title"... you really don't want that headache, it can take as long as 6 months to straighten out that legal mess...

Chuck

F
fishtales
It takes along time and is kind of a pain the ass to do. if you like the boat/going to fix it up then go for it. Not sure about the second half of the question.

And remember to keep the tile with the boat once you get it.

Last edited:
T
TimberTodd
Thanks for the input guys.

B
Berdink
Old thread, similar question.
I'm looking at one the seller says they don't have the title for.
I don't want to buy it, apply for a title, and then find out some bad news.
I tried searching here: https://apps3.oregon.gov/Lookup/OnlineReportExecute.aspx?queryIdnt=1040
But came up with nothing.
I tested it by typing in the OR 123 BF for other boats advertised and get all the information on it, but nothing for this particular one without a title.
I would think it should be in some database.
Any ideas?
I just want to verify it's a legal boat that a lost title can be applied for before I buy it.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Have you called them yet?

Honestly their phone service has been incredible, very short hold and your straight through to an actual person instead of 18 selections and voice recognition.

Paperwork itself takes a long time, but I would imagine they could reverse track the old registration, maybe over the phone.

Reactions: Berdink
Chromatose
Chromatose
Get the VIN from the boat and take the VIN # to DMV & see if they can track it down.

B
Berdink
You were right, they answered, barely on hold. The marine board said they purge boats from their online system that haven't been registered after so many years.
They sent me a form to fill out to request information on boats no longer in their system.
I guess if you wanted to know before you buy, but I wonder how long until you hear back.