Blow out on the Umpqua

D
deejay
i was wanting to hit the umpqua this weekend but i have a feeling its blown out at elkton was wondering if anyone can confirm.

B
Basser@Heart
Tore it up last Sunday! Boated maybe 50 smallies up to 3.5lbs. Don't know if the levels changed but should still be hot! Boat next to us tagged a couple salmon at the end of a long, slow day.... about 20-22lbs. Hope that helps.

D
deejay
nice smallies already i figured the water was still too cold for em definitly gonna have to throw in the bass rods from now on. Were up by elkton or down at scottsburg?

B
Basser@Heart
Right there at elkton. Fished the loop, caught em on crankbaits mostly, crawdad colored speed trap worked the best. Jerk bait worked too, but not as hot. Water is still a little cold so you gotta get the bass to react, cover a lot of water to find active fish and you'll do well. Good luck!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Basser@Heart said:
Right there at elkton. Fished the loop, caught em on crankbaits mostly, crawdad colored speed trap worked the best. Jerk bait worked too, but not as hot. Water is still a little cold so you gotta get the bass to react, cover a lot of water to find active fish and you'll do well. Good luck!

Nice. What did you do the float in; where did you take out? Curious. Bet it was a blast!!

B
Basser@Heart
Haha I didn't use the canoe id that's what you're asking! Although, I bet I could. We booked a trip through big-k for my buddy's birthday. He'd never fished for bass, or been out with a guide before, so I figured it'd make for a good birthday. And he nailed a smallie in the 3.5-4lb range so it was a good trip!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Basser@Heart said:
Haha I didn't use the canoe id that's what you're asking! Although, I bet I could. We booked a trip through big-k for my buddy's birthday. He'd never fished for bass, or been out with a guide before, so I figured it'd make for a good birthday. And he nailed a smallie in the 3.5-4lb range so it was a good trip!

Nice!! Did you stay at the ranch?

B
Basser@Heart
No, we just did a day trip with Richard Wolfe. Great guy all around! And price was reasonable. It was like 450 for three guys, so a buck fifty each. Not too bad, and I'll do it again soon as I can!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Pretty nice stretch of river eh?

B
Basser@Heart
Gorgeous! Almost wish I was staying in Oregon! Haha

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Yeah no kidding! If I ever came into a notable sum of money I would absolutely buy a place on the Umpqua as near the loop as possible!! I absolutely am in love with that section of river!

B
Basser@Heart
Yea I know what you mean! I'd definitely be tempted to do the same. Shame it's a three hour drive from me though. :p