Bleeding a salmon

kirkster
kirkster
here2fish said:
really????:shock:

So weird how other states will go as far to put signs up telling you to toss the carcs in but here its illegal???

Ya and its nothing new been in the synopsis for years now.

T
todd_brooks
I didn't know that it was a no no. I guess I was in Washington when I saw that happen. As far as it wasting a game fish, I don't get that either but the laws the law right. I do remember reading someones threats about the things he would do if he saw anyone just taken hen eggs and leaven her to rot. That would take a real winner to pull some $hit like that.

Thanks for the welcome Kirkster!

kirkster
kirkster
todd_brooks said:
I didn't know that it was a no no. I guess I was in Washington when I saw that happen. As far as it wasting a game fish, I don't get that either but the laws the law right. I do remember reading someones threats about the things he would do if he saw anyone just taken hen eggs and leaven her to rot. That would take a real winner to pull some $hit like that.

Thanks for the welcome Kirkster!

Hey todd, I know what you mean I fish in washington almost as much as oregon. One year up in the canyon on the wind river fishing springers and you could keep hatchery or native fish. It was a long hike in and out and the cool thing is you could filet your fish on the river. Very cool but try that in Oregon.
PS I can't remember who posted about wasting fish but thats not a problem. All I 'm speaking of was the remains back in Oregon waters.

F
fishtales
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Can someone tell me why do you bleed the fish? Is it just something you do to salmon? I'm so confused about this:(

F
fishtales
Why put a fish back in the water if iwe know it is going to die anyways because of the way it was hanled when removing the hook. Sometimes we have a tough time returning fish that are too far gone. Barbless hooks don't always mean a clean release.

F
fishnquest
Outdoor_Myers said:
Can someone tell me why do you bleed the fish? Is it just something you do to salmon? I'm so confused about this:(

Not just for salmon. I do the same for the stripers. Get the blood out of the fish. It leaves the meat cleaner and better tasting.

O
Outdoor_Myers
ah thats different from how do we things here but very interesting

F
fishtales
I apologize in advance about the trout comment. We could have been wrong in the past and am open to your way of doing the job.

I can relate to covering some ground with a bag of fish and there is no clear solution I have come across besides fishing with someone who can bear their own weight and carry their own limit of fish. Try taking 4 others to your spot to fish and they all limit out but do not want to carry the fish out. I think the limit was 4 or five silvers then

So far what I hear is that it is okay to bleed a fish out but you may not gut/clean your fish on the river bank, lake shore ect.. and leave a carcass. Does this go for bays and jettys too?

J
JeannaJigs
fishtales said:
Try taking 4 others to your spot to fish and they all limit out but do not want to carry the fish out.

Then what the heck are they doing fishing to begin with?!!?!?!! If you don't want to carry it out..practice handling the fish with the utmost of care and release 'em.

F
fishtales
Yeah i know that is what i said it was a long day and took several trips to the river and back.

O
Outdoor_Myers
JeannaJigs said:
Then what the heck are they doing fishing to begin with?!!?!?!! If you don't want to carry it out..practice handling the fish with the utmost of care and release 'em.

:clap::clap::clap: Indeed! I wonder if that bleeding would help out on the mississippi river fish hmm

J
JeannaJigs
fishtales said:
Yeah i know that is what i said it was a long day and took several trips to the river and back.

I woulda said you're on your own!!! I will only pack out someone elses fish if they are completely physically incapable of doing so.

J
JeannaJigs
Outdoor_Myers said:
:clap::clap::clap: Indeed! I wonder if that bleeding would help out on the mississippi river fish hmm

I'm sure it would make 'em taste better.

O
Outdoor_Myers
We always had little tournaments like whoever chatches the most gets to carry only poles, 2nd gets tackle boxes, 3rd fish. Or we would go like whoever catches the biggest fish gets to clean only half and the one with the smallest cleans the other half.

F
fishtales
If you are moving to Mac I will have to remenber a couple good fishing spots on the Nestuca. I'll show you where it about foot wide and opens up in to some good fishing. Good times!

O
Outdoor_Myers
fishtales said:
If you are moving to Mac I will have to remenber a couple good fishing spots on the Nestuca. I'll show you where it about foot wide and opens up in to some good fishing. Good times!

sweet I will look forward to it :) I caught my first rainbow trout this last april in northern iowa on 4lb ultra light, and it was a BLAST!!!