bike/hike in trout fishing

brandon4455
brandon4455
Thinking about doing a trip up to my favorite lake and wanting to bring a few people with.. it's a 6-7 mile ride or hike.. NO motor vehicles allowed it's a closed gate. You park your car at the gate entrance and hike or bike in. rafts with oars are allowed. as are boats without motors but who is gunna hike in with a boat? :lol: theres cutthroat trout,ranbow and largemouth bass. Also, after may 28th the creek above the lake is open and ive never fished up there.. i don' think very many people have.. so just chime in with a post and let me know if you want to. Have to be in good enough shape to go seven miles up a gravel road. after i get a count of hands ill post a thread in the gatherings section. this is trip number two out of 3-4 im doing this spring. there will be other trips for people who are not in good enough physical shape for a hike that long.

S
Spydeyrch
Sounds interesting. May I ask where it is to determine driving distance and time to and from there? :pray:

I would love to go! Do you have an idea of when you will be heading up there?:think:

-Spydey

troutdude
troutdude
Spydey, the gate that Brandon mentioned, is about 5 minutes west of downtown Dallas. Good luck.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
Spydey, the gate that Brandon mentioned, is about 5 minutes west of downtown Dallas. Good luck.

thanks for covering that for me jay. i appriciate it. and yes, it's right outside town. i can walk to the gate from my house if i want :lol: im thinking of doing one trip around early-mid may and one after the stream opens as well. that way we can fish the creek above and below it.

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. I had hoped to join youse guyz, but my shoulder won't let me fish until after I get the surgery done. Hope you all do well!

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
You're welcome. I had hoped to join youse guyz, but my shoulder won't let me fish until after I get the surgery done. Hope you all do well!

when will you be better? cause you know i can always plan one for you to go with. nobody gets left behind. we will be going again in november thats for sure.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks buddy, I really do appreciate that. I haven't been fishing since last November--and I think I need to ask my doc for sanity pills (in addition to my "happy" pills). I wonder if they have any that are smoke Salmon flavored?

I don't know for sure; but may be back in the groove in July or August. So, maybe in time for some late Summers or early Blue backs, and then the lake in November and "back in the saddle" again.

Thanks again. I like your "no one left behind" policy.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
Thanks buddy, I really do appreciate that. I haven't been fishing since last November--and I think I need to ask my doc for sanity pills (in addition to my "happy" pills). I wonder if they have any that are smoke Salmon flavored?

I don't know for sure; but may be back in the groove in July or August. So, maybe in time for some late Summers or early Blue backs, and then the lake in November and "back in the saddle" again.

Thanks again. I like your "no one left behind" policy.

well, the creek dosen't close until october 31st so we have plenty of time to get you some big uns! and if that isn't the best place maybe a coastal place will be our destination. hope you feel better soon buddy.

troutdude
troutdude
Thank you Brandon. I just got home and am not doing well. But, my muscle relaxer should kick in soon.

And if that doesn't do it...I have vicadin on standby. ;-)

Sure do look forward to your reports from the field!

P.S. Maybe someday, Brandon, you'll become the NW's first Bike n' Hike fishing guide!

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:
Thank you Brandon. I just got home and am not doing well. But, my muscle relaxer should kick in soon.

And if that doesn't do it...I have vicadin on standby. ;-)

Sure do look forward to your reports from the field!

P.S. Maybe someday, Brandon, you'll become the NW's first Bike n' Hike fishing guide!
Thanks jay, you always know how to encourage a fellow. i hope you feel a lot better after the surgery. pain isn't a fun thing to go through

N
Noahk
Count me in! I'll probably go the bike in route as I've got a bad leg. Might also strap an inflatable kayak to my back :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
sweet! ill give you guys some rig recomendations since the fish are very picky. my uncle my come with too.

18406ej
18406ej
I have been doing the "Insanity" workouts recently, but 7 miles? I am not sure I could handle more than one! It is kind of you to extend the invitation to everyone though. Thanks.

brandon4455
brandon4455
18406ej said:
I have been doing the "Insanity" workouts recently, but 7 miles? I am not sure I could handle more than one! It is kind of you to extend the invitation to everyone though. Thanks.

well, i looked into it ore and it's only six. :lol: but the road is a gradual incline intead of big hills. very easy to get to by bike or hiking. i might buy a raft to bring with that way i can cover the whole reservoir.