Big Tuna II

W
washahands
removed for privacy

Last edited:
E
eugene1
That's pretty LOL. You should post more!

Sounds like getting a reputable charter is the only way to go.

D
DYJ
We Tuna fish out of a 20 foot Boulton. My brother is the captain and only once has he called a trip while they were actually in Newport. Every time we go out he is watching the ocean forecast for days before, right up to the hour that we leave. If the weather is too bad for that small of a boat he knows before we leave. Was this guy a "guide/charter"?

Good read though!!

W
washahands
Thanks. He's not a guide... I was more than once told he just takes "friends" out. Honestly, it could have been a great personal trip had we found the fish. The weather thing kinda bothers me. I didn't know any better but he probably should've. The fact he thought it would be fine when no one else but a giant charter boat and some larger commercial vessels were going out is testament to his meteorological skills. Got some nice close looks at them when they popped out of the fog in front or behind us. Kinda creepy.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
10 tuna probably weighs 200 pounds give or take- 75 pounds waste, 125 meat. 3 bucks a pound $375.00.... Nonetheless paying for a trip then not catchin sux. good story! Drown the sorrows in a bottle (works for me!)

P
plumb2fish
My last trip to Newport cost me $175. That was my share of boat/truck fuel, bait and ice for 2 days fishing. Day one we went halibut fishing in the am. After we got our limit of hali's we went searching for tuna. We eventually found jumpers 43 miles from the jaws....we only managed to boat 2 before we decided to call it a day as they didn't seem to want to bite our trolling gear.
The next morning we headed straight out to the same spot we had found the jumpers the evening before and put 17 in the boat for the 3 of us and were back by 3pm. By the time we cleaned the boat and carked our fish it was after 6, and after 9 before we were back in the southern valley. Glad we called it early.....we were also fishing in a 21' boat.....sounds to me like you and your buddy funded someone else's fishing......sorry to hear you got a ticket on top of getting hosed with no reach around or kiss.

Last edited:
W
washahands
Something was very fishy about the whole thing. You guy's trips sound better all around. Better planning, better price, and on top of that, the fish showed up for the party.

"Sounds like getting a reputable charter is the only way to go." ~ I've had bad luck on charters as well so I wouldn't say they're the end all, be all. It was with WSU and the catch was supposed to be Halibut. I didn't' find out until I arrived in Warrenton that the season had closed the day before. Had I not been new to all this, i would've turned around right there but I took my place in line with the rest of the sheep and went fishing for Salmon. Yes, Salmon on the columbia. I don't even know that they were running. 18 poles in the water and not a bite the entire day. The ONLY saving grace was the crab pots. Everyone there would have at least 3 crab to take home. To sweeten the pot, half the kids went home early, so we ate and took home the remainder. Come to think of it, I haven't had much luck at all fishing the northwest since I got here in '04 from MN.

T
troutmasta
Captains Reel Newport Oregon. Only place I go. Ask for Gerald.