Bethany Lake report

bass
bass
Most Featured
I took my 7 year old son to Bethany lake on Saturday May 21st to try and catch some carp. We ended up catching 8 trout in a couple of hours on doughball. I have occasionally caught trout on doughball before but never anything like this. We even had a couple of doubles on - although we were never able to get both in. Overall it was a lot of fun. It was a perfect evening: He got in a good bit of bike riding, reeled in a bunch of fish and went to sleep without a fuss that night :)

Besides the rainbow carp :D I tossed some soft plastic at the bass for a short while but did not get any bites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chris61182
I caught a couple there a few weeks ago on orange powerbait, sounds like the doughball worked better though lol. Sounds like a good time. Didn't know there were bass in there, but I've only been there a couple times and I normally go for trout. Have you had much luck going for bass there before?

We did have a lot of fun. As for bass, I have caught them there but never a lot on any given day. They average on the small side (< 1lb) but I have caught them up to 3 lbs.

I have pulled out one just over 4#.... but like you, never many of them... it is more like a 1 fish 2 fish where fish no fish fishery for them. Have you caught yours from the shore? I either catch Bass casting toward the shore from my canoe or float tube.
You mention doughballs and Trout... have you tried adding a little garlic and coloring to it? I used a package of the unsweetened lime Koolaid mixed with 2 tablespoons of garlic juice... I did it more so some kids I took could catch fish... As J.J. Walker used to say, "Dyno-mite!"....seems to be a pretty good (wear gloves as the stupid Koolaid made my fingertips a funky green color).

Fished the Pond from the shore yesterday for about a hour....
Hatchery Trout on Black with Flame orange spinners....
caught eight 9 - 10" and one 6" Bluegill....
If I had been able to stick around and work the water, I think I could have pulled out a much bigger Trout....
kept having a 'lunker' follow the lure, but refused to strike...
Saw several fellow fishermen out there plunking or floating bait under bobbers...
Off to Lake Vernonia next weekend with the boat...

Born2Fish55 said:
I have pulled out one just over 4#.... but like you, never many of them... it is more like a 1 fish 2 fish where fish no fish fishery for them. Have you caught yours from the shore? I either catch Bass casting toward the shore from my canoe or float tube.
You mention doughballs and Trout... have you tried adding a little garlic and coloring to it? I used a package of the unsweetened lime Koolaid mixed with 2 tablespoons of garlic juice... I did it more so some kids I took could catch fish... As J.J. Walker used to say, "Dyno-mite!"....seems to be a pretty good (wear gloves as the stupid Koolaid made my fingertips a funky green color).

I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and my brother and I used to do a lot of carp fishing. We used to make a lot of cornmeal based, jello (instead of Koolaid) flavored and tobasco flavored doughballs. The other type we used to make (that I tend to use now) is wheat germ based with just some sugar and salt. However, when we were growing up a popular trout bait plunking bait was velveeta cheese with garlic salt worked into it.

Perhaps I saw you there on Sunday. I went with my daughter on Sunday for about an hour trying to catch a carp (and tossing a few bass lures) but we were denied :(

Good job on the trout!

Forgot to respond to the bass portion of your comment. I have only fished it from the shore and I have not fished for bass seriously there in a couple of years. I sometimes toss around a bass lure when I am there with the kids, but I have not fished there intensely in a few years. Good luck.

bass said:
I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and my brother and I used to do a lot of carp fishing. We used to make a lot of cornmeal based, jello (instead of Koolaid) flavored and tobasco flavored doughballs. The other type we used to make (that I tend to use now) is wheat germ based with just some sugar and salt. However, when we were growing up a popular trout bait plunking bait was velveeta cheese with garlic salt worked into it.

Perhaps I saw you there on Sunday. I went with my daughter on Sunday for about an hour trying to catch a carp (and tossing a few bass lures) but we were denied :(

Good job on the trout!

Were you at the spot by the first picnic table? If so, I probably did see you. I was fishing down by the dam last time.