Beginner steelheader!

S
SNDSLGR
I think some of the "malice' feel wouldnt be so strong if there were any effort being put in by the inquisitors. Not like they have spent time on the water and just can't quite put it together. Lots of folks to help on this site but you have to want it bad enough to "waste" some gas money and get your toes wet. Otherwise drive to Safeway and have the butcher hand you a fillet.. its the only sure bet out there.

You guys wanting to learn... have you considered a guide? Years of experience and knowledge just waiting for your phone call. Probly cost you $150+ but I bet most here spent more than that putting our first steelhead on the bank, I know I did.
 
H
halibuthitman
masmith said:
Really, there is no answer to your steelhead questions. You just have to fish no matter what the conditions in any water at all times. At least 5 days a week, 30 hours a week at least, don't ask questions, just constantly fish and after a few years you will figure out how to catch one.
mmmmmmm strong jedi!!!! you get it mat! now I would love to go fishing with you this winter, I,ll drive and got the gas! oh and the good news is after 200 hrs of all day every day fishing... you will know when to and when not to go fishing, then its only a part time job.
 
M
masmith
halibuthitman said:
mmmmmmm strong jedi!!!! you get it mat! now I would love to go fishing with you this winter, I,ll drive and got the gas! oh and the good news is after 200 hrs of all day every day fishing... you will know when to and when not to go fishing, then its only a part time job.

lol, sounds like a plan!:lol:
 
J
Jig'n
I usually hit the rivers packing 3 rods and a 50 lb. vest full of gear :D. I'll set up a Drift rod, Jig rod, and a Spinner rod that way I'm ready for whatever the conditions throw at me. All methods have their time and place; you don't have to go to extremes like I do with the 3 rods, but maybe be ready with a few different techniques.

Oh, and for the record, my vest actually only weighs about 8 lbs.

Jig'n
 
F
fishhunter
Jig'n said:
I usually hit the rivers packing 3 rods and a 50 lb. vest full of gear :D. I'll set up a Drift rod, Jig rod, and a Spinner rod that way I'm ready for whatever the conditions throw at me. All methods have their time and place; you don't have to go to extremes like I do with the 3 rods, but maybe be ready with a few different techniques.

Oh, and for the record, my vest actually only weighs about 8 lbs.

Jig'n

I completly agree. I get more jive from my friends for what i bring.:D
 
S
steelhead_stalkers
Once I hike into where i am fishing then its a matter of if I think I can actually carry everything out and two steelhead. Thats when you know you have to much gear!! :)
 
D
DirectDrive
steelhead_stalkers said:
Once I hike into where i am fishing then its a matter of if I think I can actually carry everything out and two steelhead. Thats when you know you have to much gear!! :)
Or leave the fish there....or give 'em away :D

I was "way in" (full frame pack, etc) on one occasion this year and opted to give one away to a guide and his clients.
I did not want to pack that fish out and the opportunity to give it away presented itself.
They did have fish to take home but not like what I gave them.
They took pics and thanked me.
Here's an expert from the email :

Hey Joe, thanks again for the Chinook!

I will send you the photos I just have not had time to get the photos to my computer yet. I have been at dinner with my customers most nights and am fishing every day until the 1st of November

The funny part is that one week later my fish monger wife made me pack out her fish that was about 10 pounds heavier :lol:
 
S
Specialed
Steelhead Drift Fishing by Nick Amato

Steelhead Drift Fishing by Nick Amato

After reading this book and breaking down some basics I started hooking steelhead. I think its a must read for the beginner... Good luck! ((Published by Billl Herzog))

PS; It's an easy read..
 
Last edited:
M
Mike123
Jig'n said:
I usually hit the rivers packing 3 rods and a 50 lb. vest full of gear :D. I'll set up a Drift rod, Jig rod, and a Spinner rod that way I'm ready for whatever the conditions throw at me. All methods have their time and place; you don't have to go to extremes like I do with the 3 rods, but maybe be ready with a few different techniques.

Oh, and for the record, my vest actually only weighs about 8 lbs.

Jig'n

Ditto to this... except I wear a backpack cause I can't stand vests..
I tie my fish to the back pack if I gotta hike out a ways.
I usually bring 3 rods, sometimes 2, but never just 1. Some water is just suitable for floats, some just spinners and drift gear.
 
F
fishndad
i bring anywhere from 2 to 6 rods on my trips. you just never know when you will neecd extra. ive seen poeple go out with three rods and come back with 3 broken rods lol. its good to have extra. ive perfected salmon fishing but still working on steelhead
 

Similar threads

The Guides Forecast
Replies
25
Views
4K
The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
F
Replies
2
Views
763
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
bass
Replies
7
Views
961
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
The Guides Forecast
Replies
42
Views
13K
jamisonace
jamisonace
Top Bottom