Bass in Portland?

bass

Most Featured
Any rocky area on the Willamette. You can spend a half hour on google maps and find years of water to fish. A couple of great shore spots to get you started are George Roger's park and Mary s Young park.

HombreLibro85

Thanks! I’ve been fishing for about a year now and never targeted bass and I’m really looking forward to it. Any pointers on what gear to start with?

Bake

I've fished for Bass for 40 years, and have found that there is a lot more small bass than big ones. In fact, I went about 10 years before I caught my first 4 pounder. I would use a 9' 5wt fly rod, a 6' bait caster w/12lb line, 7' spinning rod loaded w/10lb line, and a 71/2' flipping stick loaded w/25lb line. This assumes there isn't a lot of snags. If you are fishing snaggie water you may want to go up in line weight, and leave the fly rod home.

Many years ago when I chased Bass in Texas, because of the snags and the stained water, the bait caster had a 20lb line, the spinning rod had a 20lb line, the flipping stick had a 35/40 lb line, and the fly rod stayed in the p/u truck...

Last edited:

bass

Most Featured
For shore fishing the rocky areas that are most productive can be a little grabby so I would not use anything expensive. A 4-12lb spinning rod with 8-10lb test is a good choice. I would mostly toss soft plastics. They are inexpensive and pretty easy to fish.

I would start with an unweighted 3" senko wacky rigged (I like the brownish colors, I think it is called cinnamon). Twitch it a lot, this does not have to be on the bottom and can act as a search bait to see if the fish are active.

I would also carry some jigheads (shaky heads work well) in 1/16, 1/8, 1/4oz sizes and use those with a small plastic craw, grub or tube. Try to match the weight to the current and the depth. Too little weight and you are not close to the bottom. Too much and you snag too often. Trial and error.

Other lures that work well are small spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, etc (normal bass lures). However, if you are not getting bit on the soft plastics you are probably better off moving spots rather than trying hard baits. Smallmouth do move around a lot so a spot that is good one week can seem kind of dead the next and vice versa.

Last tip is to fish early in the morning or late in the evening. The spots I pointed out are on the West bank and thus get the evening shade.

HombreLibro85

For shore fishing the rocky areas that are most productive can be a little grabby so I would not use anything expensive. A 4-12lb spinning rod with 8-10lb test is a good choice. I would mostly toss soft plastics. They are inexpensive and pretty easy to fish.

I would start with an unweighted 3" senko wacky rigged (I like the brownish colors, I think it is called cinnamon). Twitch it a lot, this does not have to be on the bottom and can act as a search bait to see if the fish are active.

I would also carry some jigheads (shaky heads work well) in 1/16, 1/8, 1/4oz sizes and use those with a small plastic craw, grub or tube. Try to match the weight to the current and the depth. Too little weight and you are not close to the bottom. Too much and you snag too often. Trial and error.

Other lures that work well are small spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, etc (normal bass lures). However, if you are not getting bit on the soft plastics you are probably better off moving spots rather than trying hard baits. Smallmouth do move around a lot so a spot that is good one week can seem kind of dead the next and vice versa.

Last tip is to fish early in the morning or late in the evening. The spots I pointed out are on the West bank and thus get the evening shade.
Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom