Barney warm water rumors?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I've read and heard from folks claiming that Barney Res. was bucket-biology'd with warm water fish - specifically catfish (WTF would you put cats in a res you can't fish bait in?), bluegill, and bass. Anyone on here actually ever caught any of these fish from that water? All I've ever caught were cutthroat and rainbow trout.

Could be internet fueled rumors. Someone on iFish was trying to tell folks that Barney was restricted to no angling from a floating device - although there's no mention at all of that in the regs. Not sure if the person was just trying to discourage traffic up that way or what. Maybe they made an honest mistake, or maybe they're a D-bag that just likes messing with folks, don't care either way. It'd suck to see bass and pannies up in there though - since it feeds into the Trask and whatnot. If it IS true, I'd be happy to head up there and try to thin the population of illegal introductions down (if the gate isn't locked. I like fishing Barney, but I don't like it enough to drive to Tillamook just to back track half way to get there.)

Anyone on here know the truth about the warm water fish up that way?

B
beaverfan
I'm pretty sure there are yellowbellies in there and they've been in there a long time. If I remember right it was my old fishing in Oregon book

B
bigfootfish
GungasUncle said:
I've read and heard from folks claiming that Barney Res. was bucket-biology'd with warm water fish - specifically catfish (WTF would you put cats in a res you can't fish bait in?), bluegill, and bass. Anyone on here actually ever caught any of these fish from that water? All I've ever caught were cutthroat and rainbow trout.

Could be internet fueled rumors. Someone on iFish was trying to tell folks that Barney was restricted to no angling from a floating device - although there's no mention at all of that in the regs. Not sure if the person was just trying to discourage traffic up that way or what. Maybe they made an honest mistake, or maybe they're a D-bag that just likes messing with folks, don't care either way. It'd suck to see bass and pannies up in there though - since it feeds into the Trask and whatnot. If it IS true, I'd be happy to head up there and try to thin the population of illegal introductions down (if the gate isn't locked. I like fishing Barney, but I don't like it enough to drive to Tillamook just to back track half way to get there.)

Anyone on here know the truth about the warm water fish up that way?

That Barney is a good sized reservoir. Interesting. I made a copy of my Topo 9.0 area around Barney. Hopefully it will let me post it here. It looks like from Cherry Grove west of Gaston near Henry Hagg Lake you might be able to get to Barney Rez by taking one of three roads, those being Koennec Rd. or NW Turner Creek Rd. or Roaring Creek Rd. It looks like all three roads tie in to Skyline Rd. which overlooks from the east down onto Barney Rez. But maybe those tgree roads are gated. I've not been on those roads. Yet. Sounds like a recon is in order. Could be fun. Darn. My map file is too big, at .97 mb. Maybe I can reduce it.

Last edited by a moderator:
B
bigfootfish
Here's, I hope, a little better version of the map.

B
bigfootfish
Darn. One more time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I
idahojeff
I have been there three or four times this year. Pretty sure its a straight shot from Yamhill on Turner road. There are a few other turns(Roaging Creek and N Fork Trask road), but straight shot. I had a blow out there 6 weeks ago(no lug nut wrench!), and the tow truck driver said they used to kill the catfish up there but haven't caught any in over 5 years. Side note: caught a few nice cutties there, in a tub eon Panther Martins(my fav).

G
GDBrown
Ijeff is right about getting there on Turner road. There is a gate but it is open the majority of the year, it being closed at times in the winter. I go there every so often and have only caught trout there. Even the locals rarely go there to fish, but it is a beautiful drive to go all the way over to the coast that way.

GD

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Interesting. I know cats *can* be caught on a fly or a spinner, but it's pretty rare. Were the guys who were cat'n bait fishing (which is supposed to be a no no I do bleev).

I
idahojeff
I am sure they(locals) were plunkin worms...artificial only. You ought to like it when water gets cooler, GungasUncle.