Bananas while fishing?

P
paulie84
I go fishing with some friends and they keep tellig me that i can't bring bananas with me when we go to the river. They say that its bad luck. I have been fishing all my life and have never heard of this. What is ya'lls take on this (and maybe sone other superstitions i may not of heard of??

M
Marvin's Guide Service
There are signs at some docks that say no Bananas past this point....................lol

S
Spydeyrch
I asked the same thing about 1.5 years ago. I had a ton of different responses. The overall feeling was that it was bull ... but better to not test fate if is was real. hahahahaha :lol:

-Spydey

P
paulie84
Hah. Yea

D
DYJ
I'm not supersticous but I never bring bananas fishing...

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
Cool thread there. I've always heard they are bad luck in a boat, but never heard of any being bad luck on the bank. I've eaten a few in my day and caught plenty, but i wouldn't bring one on a boat.

H
Hendo30
Yup, I have read actually on this forum last year, no bannas before or during your fishing trips. If I remember correctly the word was not to handle them whether on the bank or in a boat. I shy away from the snacks when fishing for fear the sent of something may send my PB small or large mouth to deeper waters.

troutdude
troutdude
The only bad luck they can bring in a boat, is to slip on one.

But to be safe, dry & smoke the peels man..........."they call me Mellow Yellow"..........

S
SantiamDrifter
It’s the potassium in bananas. There have been two different studies in where fish have been exposed to potassium and fled from it. One, smolt’s in a tank had potassium dripped into the water and all the fish spread away from it. Another one was in the 70’s on a river with spawning salmon. Back in those days you could walk across the backs of fish and not get wet! They added potassium upriver and for the next 30 minutes, the entire river was empty. After that, the fish returned to the river.

I have bananas on board almost every trip. It’s important to make sure and not touch the banana then your bait. Wear gloves and always wash after eating one.

O
OregonNative
Then again, I wonder how some scents were discovered. Like garlic for instance. I can see someone eating a roast beef sandwich with garlic powder, getting it on the bait, then out-catching everyone else. I don't mean to hijack the bananas thread, just got me to think'n. :D

P
paulie84
haha, yeah. its all good. what are some other superstitions people have? wouldn't mind hearing about a few :)

troutdude
troutdude
OregonNative said:
Then again, I wonder how some scents were discovered. Like garlic for instance. I can see someone eating a roast beef sandwich with garlic powder, getting it on the bait, then out-catching everyone else. I don't mean to hijack the bananas thread, just got me to think'n. :D

Shhh...keep this on the DL...

our rainbows are really ITALIAN IMMIGRANTS!

troutdude
troutdude
paulie84 said:
haha, yeah. its all good. what are some other superstitions people have? wouldn't mind hearing about a few :)

When a fellow fisherpeep is trying to untangle his / her gear from a power line...

never walk under their 24' A-frame ladder!

O
OnTheFly
Ah...the proverbial banana mythtery! I think it's a great story to joke around with that fishermen can have a lot of fun with but I know a guy who has put it to the test by smearing banana on lures and caught just as many fish. The real problem are foods such as fried chicken and especially snack foods like Cheetos or flavored Doritos. The guide friend of mine will absolutely not let you eat that sort of thing on the boat. If you do, you are not allowed to touch anything and he was dead serious about it. If you did, then he made you wash with Lemon Joy. For some reason that seems to work and he used it periodically during the day. It washes off the oils and perhaps it's a scent that doesn't bother the fish.

Resource: Alan Goering (Osmosis)

Last edited:
M
mikeee2362
Saw a guy threaten another guy that he would throw him off the boat if he didn't throw his bananas overboard. Now I'm not superstitious, but I'm not gonna do anything that might jeopardize my luck...no bananas on a fishin' day and always hold yer mouth right!!!

1 nut in the water
Big 'Nooks love plug cut bananas trolled real slow.......

T
troutmasta
1 nut in the water said:
Big 'Nooks love plug cut bananas trolled real slow.......

I scent my bannanas with chocolate sauce.

T
TTFishon
We should have a contest on here for who can catch the biggest salmon/steel after eating a banana. Post a pic with said banana peel with the fish. lol.

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
Does it count if they are made into bread?