Bait in the Upper Willamette

D
Drew9870
What is the best bait for sturgeon in the upper Willamette? I need to find a bait that the Squawfish don't like. Everytime I use a fillet of a squawfish or even shad strips, I catch big 24 inch squawfish.

Has anyone had any problems with squawfish while using squid?

B
Bfishin
Drew9870 said:
What is the best bait for sturgeon in the upper Willamette? I need to find a bait that the Squawfish don't like. Everytime I use a fillet of a squawfish or even shad strips, I catch big 24 inch squawfish.

Has anyone had any problems with squawfish while using squid?
Then fillet the 24"er and throw that sucker on! JK I think any type of bait a Sturgeon will eat, a Squaw will too. Espescially if they share the same water. Just my opinion.

O
osmosis
unfortunately squaws eat squid also.
find deeper water (100+ ft) if you want to catch less squaws.

J
juggernaut506
I've never had squawfish go after my squid. That might just be luck or that they can't get get the tied on squid off the hook that is too big for them to swallow. My buddy likes to use big squawfish for sturgeon bait also.

D
Drew9870
Thanks everyone for the info,

Bfishin, that is pretty funny you mention it, because I do, but I don't actually use the whole fillet, I just cut it into strips. No Squawfish I catch goes back in the water, unless I throw it to an Osprey or use it as bait. I am not hoping to hook into a Sturgeon that is too big to handle on 14lb P-Line with a 12lb leader, it would be nice to hook a giant channel cat though, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pass up a Squid.

I have an Ambassador reel, and just got it respooled at wholesale sports, so I think I have enough line to handle a decent size sturgeon sturgeon (if he doesn't twist around and fry my line).

Last edited: