Badger Lake - information request

K
Keith
Hello OFF'ers,

I am heading up to Badger Lake for the first time in a couple weeks. I searched the site but, did not find any threads regarding this lake on the south east side of Mt. Hood.

I only know that you best have 4 x 4 to get up there and it is remote. I have seen the location on the map and the route options... but that is about all.

Wondering if it is planted or native only, rainbow, brookies or cut throat. Should I take the pontoon - is it worth it - or stick to the bank. Fly or gear fishing.... I'll probably take both options anyway.

Best route from Portland ??

So, any info for a newbie heading to the location would be wonderful.

Thanks folks !! :D

troutdude
troutdude
According to the "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon", by John Shewey, it is stocked with rainbows 9- 13". There are also brookies up to 16".

You can also contact the Barlow Ranger District office for more information:

541-467-2291.

Good luck!

P.S. You are correct...you'll need a "high clearance" rig to drive in. And no trailers are allowed, due to the road conditions. So car toppers/toons are good.

M
Modest_Man
A few months ago I hiked in before the road was clear of snow. We hiked along the creek 12 miles to the campground. Didn't catch anything out of the lake; we had probably 40mph winds which made it pretty tough to cast more than a few feet. I did catch some brook trout along with some cutthroat just down the spillway with my fly rod. I'd bring a float tube or a pontoon, as bank access didn't seem to be that great.

The 1/4 a mile we hiked along the "road" to the lake you definitely need a high clearance 4x4 vehicle. It was in ROUGH shape.

Sorry I can't be more help.

R
R.Gertken
Its been a few years since I've been there, but the fishing was great. They stock it with rainbows and there is also brookies. Id bring the pontoon to cover more water, but the last time I was there I did good from shore. The road is pretty bad. If I remember right it took almost an hour to drive the last 10 miles. Worth it if you can camp for more than a few days, and this time of year it might be all yours. I don't know what the fire situation will be when you go, but you might want to find out if they are using the lake for water.

S
Smellsfishy
I was there a few weeks ago. Drove my jeep wrangler, and it was white-knuckle in some spots. I thought it would be remote and deserted....but I was wrong. Plenty of people camping, and plenty of cars on the road. It's not an easy drive, esp for low-clearance veh's.

Fished with power bait from the shore and caught 2 rainbows and 1 cutthroat in 90min. Nice size fish. There were lots of little ones jumping all over. I will def return soon with my float tube...and fly rod.