Back from my excursion to the John Day River.

plumbertom
plumbertom
I drove there Monday and launched the boat to go up river to Philipi Park, a boat in only park and campground.
I got set up in the park with my tent and other limited camp gear.
Now before I went, I attempted to find out about fees for camp use. Nowhere can I find that information.
Now I know why.
They are on what they call a donation system.
They suggest a donation of $3o pre night for dock space and camp ground.
Now I'll be the first to say it's a nice camp with brand new docks. But as I was intending to stay for 3 nights, $90 is way out of my range.
So I talked to the camp host (just on the job a couple days) and we agreed to $10 a night. She kept telling me she was gonna bring the registration card down so I could pay but she was also gone into town for the next two days. She left before I got up and came back after I was abed. Still hauling her gear up river to get set up, then she had to haul A ton of ice for the big weekend crowd. So as it turned out, I never paid for the stay. She never came back to my camp after unloading the ice and the rest of her supplies. But payment is voluntary so I guess she decided I wasn't the rich crowd she expecting.
I'm sure the park will be full of rich boaters if the ones who arrived as I was loading my boat to leave is any indication.
Anyway, Tuesday morning I was on the water early and headed up river as far as I could to sample the catfishing.
I wanted to try in a number of places to see where the bite seemed best so I changed spots often.
I caught 4 Channel Cats Tuesday and decided to stop on the way up river at a spot that produce two of them Wednesday Morning.
But the wind started up and after a couple hours, One bite I missed, I was afraid I was gonna be unable to navigate the river in the wind and swell so I went back to camp with the wind growing all the way back I believe it was a wise decision because it didn't lay down all night and into my packing up this morning.
So for all my effort, I got 4 fish in the 3 to 5 lb range, which I consider the best eating size and the trip cost me about $100 overall.
I did enjoy the camping but it's getting to be a lot of work to go alone.

Reactions: Slo
00Swede
00Swede
A wise decision on not challenging that wind up there. I've been up at the "Narrows" in flat calm conditions, and heading back you can run into conditions that are a bit scary, even in my 19' aluminum. Haven't been up there yet this year, but one of my favorites. Usually just morning trips for me since I live up this way and usually calmer in the morning.
Nice report!

EOBOY
EOBOY
plumbertom;n612371 said:
I did enjoy the camping but it's getting to be a lot of work to go alone.

Next time PM me and I'll bring my Tent trailer and we can stay at Le page. I've thought about pulling my trailer then coming back and getting my boat, but to much hassle. That wind is why I left the EO 40 years ago!!!

Nice report:peace:

How long does it take you to get to the camp ground and did you try for any Bass?

Reactions: plumbertom
plumbertom
plumbertom
EOBOY;n612375 said:
Next time PM me and I'll bring my Tent trailer and we can stay at Le page. I've thought about pulling my trailer then coming back and getting my boat, but to much hassle. That wind is why I left the EO 40 years ago!!!

Nice report:peace:

How long does it take you to get to the camp ground and did you try for any Bass?

It's three miles from La Page to Phillipi and another 5 or so to the narrows.
How long it takes depends on the water/ wind conditions.
But my boat, running on plane, takes maybe 20 minutes or less to get to the campground.
I really wasn't paying much attention to the time.
Too interested in watching the shoreline for shallows and places to fish.
But I doubt it would take an hour to get from the camp at La Page to the narrows so long as the water was fairly flat.

EOBOY
EOBOY
plumbertom;n612384 said:
It's three miles from La Page to Phillipi and another 5 or so to the narrows.
How long it takes depends on the water/ wind conditions.
But my boat, running on plane, takes maybe 20 minutes or less to get to the campground.

Ha, I don't think my DB planes. Of course I haven't tried my new motor yet. I'm sure I'll make it over there this summer but will wait till the spring wind blows itself out.

D
Don Fischer
I was starting to think no one fished for catfish in the John Day. I've tried up near the narrows years ago but all I ever caught up there were bull heads. Great eating but small. Tried them at Clarno this year and did real well. Got in about a month before it went south and got over 15 smallest was 16" largest was 24" and 6 1/2#. But I think they were blues, great eating too. Fished for bullheads most my life so not really sure. Had forked tails and a blue color to them. Though all thet was in there was channels. Also read where blue's hit harder than channels and these thing just plowed through the hit!

Here's my fishing buddy with a six pounder I got, sorry, we got. I hooked it and he reeled it in! He calls it his first catfish ever!

eI5FefTl.jpg