Awesome looking week to come!

K
kerrydaleherring
I'll be there on wen morn after work. SLEEP who needs sleep when you can fish!!!!!

K
kerrydaleherring
A friend of mine did pretty good up by the Gary Joe hole yesterday. 1 keeper 3 on. That's about where I'm headed to on Wednesday morn.

C
CoastieFlo
Gary Joe hole??

Is there anywhere online with a map of the Siuslaw with common 'hole names' listed?? I know a few and where all the parks are but thats it.

Also, that Coho shows how good of run it was this year for them....middle Dec and still chrome fish!

K
kerrydaleherring
Map not that I know of... Born and raised in mapleton got spoiled you know where Swisshome is? Gary Jo hole aka power line hole is a little pullout past Swisshome walk about 20 ft down and find the path past the railroad track get to the clearing and you'll see a white cross on the other side for gary ( king of the siuslaw) R.i.p your gonna need waiters but great hole close to the far bank. Your best bet is to go with someone who knows that area or go and take a look see. Lots and lots of holes that are hidden and clearly seen. Pullouts spots where brush has been walked through that sort of thing.

K
kerrydaleherring
Ive heard that how good the coho run directly effects how the steelhead is gonna be.. If that's the case better hold onto your butt cause man its gonna be hott!

N
Native Fisher
kerrydaleherring said:
Ive heard that how good the coho run directly effects how the steelhead is gonna be.. If that's the case better hold onto your butt cause man its gonna be hott!

There is no scientific correlation between the two, at least that I have read, just fisherman struggling to figure it out. The reality is very little information is available on steelhead in the ocean, no one knows where they go. Judging by last years jack counts and a below average showing for december so far it will be an average year. Even the streams with the early run alsea stock are not producing well.

C
ChezJfrey
kerrydaleherring said:
I'll be there on wen morn after work. SLEEP who needs sleep when you can fish!!!!!

LOL, exactly!

But then there's guys like I ran into yesterday...he sees me with my gear and says that he thought about fishing, but the water looked terrible, so he decided not to. The river was in near perfect condition and he was clearly delusional, or just lazy ;) Works for me, as every bit of spare bank I'm afforded just ups my odds :)

K
kerrydaleherring
ChezJfrey said:
LOL, exactly!

But then there's guys like I ran into yesterday...he sees me with my gear and says that he thought about fishing, but the water looked terrible, so he decided not to. The river was in near perfect condition and he was clearly delusional, or just lazy ;) Works for me, as every bit of spare bank I'm afforded just ups my odds :)

Hahaha it would've made it so gratifying to a: hook a fish in front of or b: have one on the bank..... How'd you do yesterday? That guys clearly didn't know what he was talking about any thing under 7 is beautiful! Like you said one more spot you could've had...

C
ChezJfrey
kerrydaleherring said:
Hahaha it would've made it so gratifying to a: hook a fish in front of or b: have one on the bank..... How'd you do yesterday? That guys clearly didn't know what he was talking about any thing under 7 is beautiful! Like you said one more spot you could've had...

Nothing. I got the wild one the day before, and hit that same spot, then tried a couple more spots in the search but couldn't repeat the feat. It's still somewhat early on the Clack and the fish are a bit scant and require some hunting. Won't be able to try again until Friday or Saturday.

J
Jordy
Thats a coho.

K
kerrydaleherring
Anyone going fishing tomorrow on the slaw? Maybe I'll see ya. The water level as of 1:00 pm is 6.4 ft which is absolutely perfect. I'm excited! :yikes:

S
Steel4life
^^ I might see you there, but I plan on working the top half of the river. Richardson down to lake creek. Only for a few hours, I still need to get a Christmas tree.....

K
kerrydaleherring
Good luck steel4life I'm gonna probably try to fly to Redhill and hit that. I have a feeling they arnt up that far but who knows at this point. Still early but I know there's fish on that river. If you see a black acura that's me come say hi...

S
Steel4life
You too buddy, I'm in a red celica, or silver frontier. Pm me sometime

K
kerrydaleherring
Why is that even when you know what to expect when you hook a fish and have been fishing for years and years that when you make a plan to go fishing the night before I always seem to be excited and nervous like a little kid.... I love it! Does anyone get that as well?

hobster
hobster
kerrydaleherring said:
Why is that even when you know what to expect when you hook a fish and have been fishing for years and years that when you make a plan to go fishing the night before I always seem to be excited and nervous like a little kid.... I love it! Does anyone get that as well?

If the river is perfect and i know there are fish i can never sleep the night before. I love the anticipation, you'd think after 30 + years of fishing I'd be able to.

hobster
hobster
Hope you got one today by the way. :thumb:

K
kerrydaleherring
Anybody hit up the slaw or planning on it soon? Is the water still brown or green now?

M
Moe
2/3 on winters in tillamook. Water was great both inhaled a spinner. Back at it on sunday and Monday

S
steelhead_stalkers
I can see a direct correlation in better steelhead fishing 3 and 4 years after a good coho run since there are more carcasses to feed young steelhead before they had out to the Ocean.