Attention all salmon/ steelhead fishermen!

S
Slash
So this is my issue, went and bought some 30 lb. Braded line last year for chinook and coho. Come to find out.... I could snap some one elses line using it.
Looking for some advice here if possible :)
Is Maxima 15lbs high visibility line good for salmon/ steelhead bank fishing, or did I just waist my money ? And what's reliable if not?

All advice would be appreciated!!!

Cheers, Slash

P.s. What lbs. Leader should I run ? 12 or 10 lbs ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D
DYJ
on my Steelhead set up I am running 15 pound braid with 8 pound leader. Recently I have dropped to 6 pound leader for low and clear water. My good buddy says I am nuts and he only uses 10 pound.... we both catch fish so take it for what it's worth.

W
waco
It all depends what you are try ing to get for Summer steelhead I woul run 8 or 10 lbs depending on visibility!!! And for samon depending what kind of salmon too!!! For chinooks I like to use 12 lbs!!!

R
rippin fish lips
For steelhead, in low clear water conditions I run 6 lb test. However, with 6 pound test you will lose a lot more fish then you land. It all depends on the style of fishing you are doing. This winter however, im gunna fish light still but bump it up to 8 pound test. Gl with your salmon/steelhead fishing! '

Don't be shy here, ask a lot of questions if you want to catch a lot more fish. There is a lot of good information on steelhead/salmon fishing, what to use ect... in our archeives. Check em out.

Welcome to the forum to man!

M
metalfisher76
6 and 8 for summers, 8 and 10 fallies, 8 for ho`s, 8 and 10 for winters, and 8 and 10 for springers

troutdude
troutdude
metalfisher76 said:
6 and 8 for summers, 8 and 10 fallies, 8 for ho`s, 8 and 10 for winters, and 8 and 10 for springers

X2.

Plus, use heavier leader for Nooks and Ho's. Their teeth shred line, so thicker/heavier is better.

N
nativefish
fished 12lb leader for cohos today, 30 lb high vis braid behind it and although the fish were rollin and jumpin away didn't touch nothing... the though of downsizing my leader at least is running through my head before i go back out.

S
Slash
thx to all :)

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Good luck!

S
Slash
"Update". Washuogal river - pulling out some nice nooks out of the using 3 large or 4 med. corkys (dark and bright colors)with about 4 inch. Of pencil led. though with about 50 people on both side of the river, Camas & Washougal. Oak park if Anyone's interested in exactly where to go. It's a little nerve racking but hey, at leased i got to feal whats its like to hook into a couple of them before spitting out my hooks :/. I think I'm going to stick to Oregon rivers in the future. It really stinks over there with the paper mill blowin in the wind. Lol

M
metalfisher76
If you like the zoo at Cedar Creek(sandy/coho)....then I guess it`s cool....

gross

There are better places to fish the Shoug... like directly below those fools... cast for moving biters that haven`t made into that abysmal hole...not circling SCARED ARSE nookies with 1-4 corkies hangin outta there sides...fyi

S
Slash
"Ummm yaaa.... That's a negative on the Zoo!"

M
metalfisher76
I could kinda tell by yer post you weren`t that into it. I just thought others should know just how ugly it gets.

S
Slash
metalfisher76 said:
I could kinda tell by yer post you weren`t that into it. I just thought others should know just how ugly it gets.

Hey No worries! :)

Last edited:
C
Callaway
im curious about the hi-vis line too.
i run it on all my rods and for trout i havnt noticed any real differance but i have gotten a lot more than i ever have before with worms or powerbait so i would say they dont seem to mind but i am curious about it for the rivers.
i have that PXX line in hi-vis on my salmon steelhead rig and although i havnt gotten any action of any type i have been thinking that maybe my choice in line wasn't right.
anyone have any weight on this topic of clear and hi-vis lines?

R
RunWithSasquatch
I run high vis on a number of my rods, several different colors and styles. I run it for different reasons. When I pull plugs, I use high vis so that while rowing I can keep track of where the plugs are, and what they are doing with out having to strain and pick them out of the back ground. I dont run the high vis straight to the plugs though, I tie about a 5 foot preleader of mono joined with a double uni knot.

When I bobber fish, I also run high vis, to help my eyes keep track of my gear. And in turn, having extra line laying around, more of my rods have the high vis on it. It doesn't have an effect on the fish. And in low clear situations, I tie a preleader where needed.

C
Callaway
whats a pre-leader? thanks for the info on the hi-vis, i use it for the exact same reasons, purely easier for me to see where my stuff is ( and i think it looks cool spooled on my abu)

P
plumb2fish
For Springers when drift fishing, I run 12lb maxima leaders...When plug fishing, braid to a 5'- 20lb leader...diver/bait is braid to 5' of 12-20 lb leader. Summer steel, 12 maxima for main early in season...10 lb leader. later is 10lb maxima to 4-8 lb leader....Fall nooks is pretty much braid to minimum of 30lb leader... (fall nooks aren't leader shy) coho in the river are just for fun so, what ever steelhead gear I have with me is what I use...Tidewater coho are usually caught incidentally while nook fishing...Winter Steel, 12-15lb maxima main with 8-12 lb leader depending on water conditions...

Reactions: JeannaJigs