Astoria salmon fishing

F
Fishpdx
Hello so to start off this post I haven't been on here for a while . But keep hearing about coho plunking from bank in astoria , no clue where to start . Any recommendations on how to rig and spots . I fished for salmon with spinners in clackamas river and sandy . Tried plunking couple times but keep getting my rig tangled up . I caught a native Chinook last week on the Columbia river while fishing for bass on a ultralight rod with 6lb line on a spinner jig . And I had a blast . Insane fight and now I want more ! I don't have a boat so bank fishing for me .
Also I keep hearing sturgeon in astoria and would be willing to check it out sometime. Not sure if there is any bank spots for sturgeon.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Bank fishing down there is done from an area locally known as Social Security Beach. It is not really in Astoria. You will find it out at the end of Fort Stevens State Park. Take the road to the South Jetty look out, drive past the look out parking lot to end of the road. It takes you to a parking lot right on the Columbia River. Folks walk up (east) the beach and throw spinners to land coho. Blue Fox seem to be a favorite. Take a look on Google Earth and check it out.

F
Fishpdx
Irishrover said:
Bank fishing down there is done from an area locally known as Social Security Beach. It is not really in Astoria. You will find it out at the end of Fort Stevens State Park. Take the road to the South Jetty look out, drive past the look out parking lot to end of the road. It takes you to a parking lot right on the Columbia River. Folks walk up (east) the beach and throw spinners to land coho. Blue Fox seem to be a favorite. Take a look on Google Earth and check it out.
Sounds good , I will try to make a trip down there this weekend .

A
Anotherdude
Just make sure you're driving a 4x4 or AWD. Last time we went this long without rain the sand was basically like powder and a lot of people were getting stuck on the beach. Ask me how I know......

Reactions: Fishpdx
F
Fishpdx
Anotherdude said:
Just make sure you're driving a 4x4 or AWD. Last time we went this long without rain the sand was basically like powder and a lot of people were getting stuck on the beach. Ask me how I know......
I will take awd infiniti suv . I'm still waiting for my waders and crab traps I ordered online

A
Anotherdude
Don't worry about waders on that beach. It's steep, so waders only get you like 5-10 feet more into the water.

And yes, the crabs in the area can take all your bait away.

L
LongBeachRaider
Did you head down there? I'm going to go this weekend if you want to meet up?

F
Fishpdx
LongBeachRaider said:
Did you head down there? I'm going to go this weekend if you want to meet up?
No not yet , I might go down there Saturday or Sunday, not sure yet

sambone
sambone
can't you just park in one of the parking lots and walk up with a regular car?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Yes there is a paved parking lot. Just park and walk up river a bit.