Are trout still biting anywhere near Portland?

S
spinner1
My nephew just turned 6 yr. old and is coming to portland to fish this weekend. I sure would appreciate it if anyone out there knows if the trout are biting this late in season? and where that might be? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You!:think:

A
alm21
Considering you will have a 6yr old, I would take a look at one of the lakes that gets stocked. Sounds like you would be targeting the upper Willamette zone or possibly NW zone. I've done really well catching trout on the upper Sandy over the past week but it's not a place I would take a 6yr old.

T
Tribal16
Mt.hood pond in Gresham is suppose to get stocked sometime this week with 450 trout. 50 of them being "larger" I would call to see when they stocked it. Its right by the Mt.Hood Community College campus in Gresham. Henry Hagg Lake has been stocked with a lot of fish in the last month as well. You can even rent a boat there!

Good luck :)

O
OregonNative
Consider Detroit Reservoir

Consider Detroit Reservoir

I don't know if you want to travel as far as Detroit Lake, it is hour from Salem. We were there Sunday and caught several fish 8 to 12 inches. With a 6 year old along I would recommend the area called Detroit Flats which is just a 1/3 mile or so east of the town. Just go into town, and take the first road (Detroit Road) that runs parallel to the highway clear to the end. The water level is way down, so it is not the prettiest place now, but I think it concentrates the fish more.

The fish like the deeper areas, so observe the lay of the land, especially where it is rocky. A worm or Power Bait about 2-4 feet off the bottom should work. A small corky can help a worm float. There are a lot of old stumps, which on the bright side provide structure/cover for the fish, but be prepared to have to rerig now and then. Take an extra pole to have ready to go if you do have to break off your tackle. Less down time that way, and you can get a pole ready while you wait for the fish.

Despite the ugly visible lake bed, the forest above is pretty, and if you keep your eyes open you may see an Osprey or two dive for fish!

Let us know how you do. We love to get updates and reports. :D

Food fishing.

troutdude
troutdude
Word:

Mt. Hood Pond is limited to youth age 17 & under, or holder's of a Disabled Angler license.

And I agree with O.N. - now is a good time to fish Detroit for fish holding in concentrated areas. It really improves your odds of catching fish.

P.S. You could also call this number, and ask if there are any stockings scheduled for this week--that aren't listed on the stocking schedule.

North Willamette District Office (Clackamas) - (971) 673-6000

Last edited:
T
Tribal16
You can fish mt.hood pond if your over 17. The age restriction only lasts till August then everyone can fish it. I walk by it every day and see a lot of surfacing fish. That pond is small so chances of catching one are pretty high :).

Take pictures and let us know how you did!

Good luck!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Whoops! Thanks Tribal...I didn't read the whole line. You are correct. As of Sept. 1st, anyone can fish the Mt. Hood pond.

Darn these trifocals...LOL.

B
bernduffy
Hagg has lots of little trout 30 feet off shore all around Ramp A. But it will take some patience. They are especially active at dusk. Last night I couldn't keep them off the hook. Remember: you can't keep them under 8". Also bass, bluegill, crappie & cats. Also: $5 entrance fee per vehicle.

S
spinner1
Tribal16
Thanks for info. on Mt.hood pond. I see they stocked it on the 17th. I read somewhere that in the past the pond had a bad reputation for garbage and was basically overpopulated with fisherman. Is that still true? I've never fished there, but it sounds like your real familiar with it. I really would like to see him catch some fish. I even thought of heading over to Vernonia lake, but havent heard anything on that. I usually fish Clack. area Estacada, but nothing biting there last week at all.

Last edited:
S
spinner1
OregonNative

I sure do appreciate your response and all of the great info. you included. I've never fished at Detroit but I have heard great things about it. I won't have time to take him to Detroit Res. this trip, but I plan to when he can come down for a longer visit during summer. I have a 14' aluminum boat that I could bring. Can you recommend a good ramp w/dock on the lake and it's location? Thanks again. If you decide to head north towards portland and are looking for fishing hole let me know, I owe you.

Last edited:
S
spinner1
Thanks alm21 for your reply. Your link for stocking schedule came in real handy.

troutdude
troutdude
Spinner,

I graduated from Mt. Hood in 1990. That pond is EASILY accessible by anyone and everyone. It's almost always crowded. So, go early if you can.

BTW, the ODFW schedule indicates that it will be/was stocked the "week of" the 17th. Rarely is a stocking done on Monday. But, it will be done "sometime" during that week. So, it likely has been stocked by now.

There is a state park, with a dock, at Detroit. I fished there in June. I C & R'd over 30 trout from one pocket of water that day. Then found more trout the next day, in another pocket. If you have time, it's worth the trip...especially if you can stay a day or two. There is a day use fee.

S
spinner1
bernduffy
Thanks for reply. I'm glad you did so well at Hagg. I fished there a few times over the years, but got skunked every time. Fish in Hagg too smart for me. ha ha..

S
spinner1
troutdude
Thanks for coming back with info. Yeah, they just stocked 450 this week at Hood pond. I was just replying to O.N. that I can't get to Detroit this weekend too short. But thanks for dock/ramp info..I'll be sure to save it for future reference...May all your tackle be strong and your fish be monsters!

O
OregonNative
Spinner
With the water low right now, the only boat access is at Mongold St Park. When the lake is full there are also ramps at Detroit Lake State Park, Hoover Camp Ground, and a primitive ramp at Detroit Flats.