Anyone hunting smallies?

Goldylocks
Goldylocks
I was picnicking last year at Rooster Rock and heard one of the paddle boarders say they saw a large bass near them. The area on the east by the boat launch is all rocky shore so I thought it might be a good spot. I went back and caught a dink next to the boat launch area last year (at the start of the heat wave) but tried again a few weeks ago and got totally skunked... I'm also not the greatest bass fisherman.

My cousins coming down from Washington so was thinking to try again this week, any thoughts? other areas?

Proof of the aforementioned dink :) I was actually super thrilled, it just doesn't look like it because I was out there all day and it was about 100 degrees.

30747811-9C34-4313-9D8B-4DC7FB6B05F2.jpeg

Reactions: Unclefishman11 and Admin
Diehard
Diehard
benson lake is close by to rooster rock it had some decent smallmouth in it years ago over by the east end of the lake good luck nice job catching

Reactions: Unclefishman11 and Goldylocks
DOKF
DOKF
I haven't tried it personally, but rumour has it that Hagg Lake is the place to go for bass near Portland

Reactions: Diehard and Goldylocks
DOKF
DOKF
There is also the Willamette River ...

P
pcstock
....and the Columbia.

The best bass fishing in the state are the John Day River and the Umpqua River.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal and Goldylocks
O
Oregunner
Umpqua is still up, fast, and cold for this time of year. SM frenzy hasn’t started yet. I got three this morning, when a typical day this time of year would be closer to 50 before lunch. We needed the water, so I can be patient.

Reactions: Diehard and Goldylocks
Goldylocks
Goldylocks
Oregunner said:
Umpqua is still up, fast, and cold for this time of year. SM frenzy hasn’t started yet. I got three this morning, when a typical day this time of year would be closer to 50 before lunch. We needed the water, so I can be patient.
I'm ready for the 50 !

Goldylocks
Goldylocks
DOKF said:
There is also the Willamette River ...
Any park and walk areas you can recommend?

Goldylocks
Goldylocks
Side note: My cousin only has a Washington fishing license, since Rooster Rock is the Columbia river I'm thinking Oregon respects the Washington license in this case? The section from eRegulation that I think applies is:

When angling within three miles of shore from Cape Falcon, OR to Leadbetter Point, WA, or in the waters of the Columbia River where it forms the Oregon-Washington boundary both Washington and Oregon resident fishing licenses are valid. Any anglers other than Washington residents must have a valid Oregon angling or shellfish license when landing fish or taking shellfish by boat in Oregon.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Goldylocks said:
Side note: My cousin only has a Washington fishing license, since Rooster Rock is the Columbia river I'm thinking Oregon respects the Washington license in this case? The section from eRegulation that I think applies is:

When angling within three miles of shore from Cape Falcon, OR to Leadbetter Point, WA, or in the waters of the Columbia River where it forms the Oregon-Washington boundary both Washington and Oregon resident fishing licenses are valid. Any anglers other than Washington residents must have a valid Oregon angling or shellfish license when landing fish or taking shellfish by boat in Oregon.

you are correct when fishing from a boat. fishing the Columbia from shore in Oregon requires an Oregon license.

Reactions: Fishnbuck, Goldylocks, Diehard and 1 other person
S
Snopro
pcstock said:
....and the Columbia.

The best bass fishing in the state are the John Day River and the Umpqua River.
Maybe for numbers. For quality you can't beat the Columbia.

Reactions: NKlamerus and Goldylocks
Diehard
Diehard
It was my understanding that lake owyhee was the best bass fishing in the state

Reactions: Goldylocks
Goldylocks
Goldylocks
Hmm I guess everyone could provide their "best spot" and then I'll visit them all and see which one works out best. :D GPS coordinates for any secret holes can be sent directly to me in a private message if needed.

• Haha
Reactions: wils and NKlamerus
DOKF
DOKF
Goldylocks said:
Hmm I guess everyone could provide their "best spot" and then I'll visit them all and see which one works out best. :D GPS coordinates for any secret holes can be sent directly to me in a private message if needed.
Or not .. :sneaky:

jamisonace
jamisonace
Goldylocks said:
I'm ready for the 50 !
It's fun for about 10 minutes.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Goldylocks said:
If you promise to take every bass you catch, I'll dial you in on the Umpqua.

Reactions: Goldylocks, Diehard and NKlamerus
Goldylocks
Goldylocks
jamisonace said:
If you promise to take every bass you catch, I'll dial you in on the Umpqua.
I've never tried smokin a bass but I'll throw anything on the pellet grill at least once.

Goldylocks
Goldylocks
So we did go to rooster today. As suspected got skunked, its was super windy and the river is way high. We'll keep after it though!

There was a paddle boat race there that we got to watch which was pretty cool. I could not believe these rowers were going up stream in that current and wind! The website said the course was 4 miles upstream then 6 downstream after a turn around. I'd be toast if I tried that.

Reactions: Diehard
DOKF
DOKF
Goldylocks said:
I've never tried smokin a bass but I'll throw anything on the pellet grill at least once.
From clean waters, smoked smallmouth is quite tasty. Firm, flaky ...

S
Snopro
Goldylocks said:
So we did go to rooster today. As suspected got skunked, its was super windy and the river is way high. We'll keep after it though!
During an East wind, Rooster to Stevenson is usually the windiest stretch on the river. More wind in the morning and less later in the day.

It was glassy further East in the Gorge today.

Don't give up and better luck next time.