Anyone catching summers around Eugene yet?

D
Damon79
Taking the wife for a river float down the Willamette on Sunday. Is there a stretch of river around Eugene where people are picking up any summers? Not sure whether we will target summers or springers, but will be out there one way or the other.. Any advice people could spare would be great...

D
Damon79
Kodiak said:
We are picking up summers from the deadline to the mouth on the santiams, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be there yet. There are springers there for sure by now also. Most of our fish have come from spoons like a cleo in brass and red, or from side drifting shrimp.
Thanks for the tip. I have never fished the Santiam, either one of them, but I will some day. With some very good fish passage 10-14 days ago I think there should be a fair number of fish up here by now.. I usually wait to go until I start hearing good reports from credible people, but I am gonna hit the river on Sunday and wing it on a float I have never done.. Good luck on all your adventures and goooooood fishin'.

P
plumb2fish
IF you go to the willy, I would go Dexter to Pengra. The water should have better color up there. Down in town the water is pretty colored up. There should be steelies as well was springers available, however the last rain event cooled the water down pretty good and you are gonna have to put it on their noses to entice a hit right now.

D
Damon79
plumb2fish said:
IF you go to the willy, I would go Dexter to Pengra. The water should have better color up there. Down in town the water is pretty colored up. There should be steelies as well was springers available, however the last rain event cooled the water down pretty good and you are gonna have to put it on their noses to entice a hit right now.
Thank you for the advice. I have ran the stretch from Dexter to Pengra like 5 times or so and have never touched a fish, even when the river was clear full of fish. I have also never been on that stretch of water with any one who knows it, and that may be part of my problem. I have learned to read water really well for winter steelies and do quite well, but I still have not figured out the summer fish. As for Springers, I have caught a few but only using bobber and eggs. I just need to put more time in on the water to learn these dang things, and do it with some one who knows the water and how to fish it...Hoping the weather is good and will at least make a run down somewhere for a while.

S
Steelyfishn
There are plenty of fish in the mac and the willy. I agree damn to pengra or jasper bridge is going to give you the best results. I also agree the water is a little cold right now so fish each hole hard. A very reliable source has already caught 20 summer steel so good luck and fish on...

D
dtikey
I would fish late afternoon for steelhead rite now do to surface temp.A couple of degrees makes a world of differnce.I went this morning up the mac and had 3 steelhead laying in front of me but had the lock jaw going on and finally moved out.I believe if it would have been later I might of had a chance.But there is steelhead and chinook in the trap at leaburg so thats a good sign.