Any truffle hunters out there?

jamisonace
jamisonace
I would like to find some Oregon truffles this year. If anyone has some knowledge on the subject and would be willing to take me, I would happily reciprocate with some sort of fishing adventure ranging from drift boat on a southern Oregon river to crab/lingcod on the ocean.

Reactions: troutdude
C_Run
C_Run
I never figured out how to do it but I know we have some on our place in the young fir trees. What is the timing? I have bumped into the white ones from time to time and sometimes the duff looks like it's been plowed by the squirrels. If you're down there at the right time we can give it a shot.

troutdude
troutdude
That would be fun Jamie. I've picked a lot of various shrooms over the years: Chanterelle's, Shaggy Manes, and others. But never truffles. It would be cool to find some on your own. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

jamisonace
jamisonace
C_Run said:
I never figured out how to do it but I know we have some on our place in the young fir trees. What is the timing? I have bumped into the white ones from time to time and sometimes the duff looks like it's been plowed by the squirrels. If you're down there at the right time we can give it a shot.

Spring? I think. Yeah, lets try it. If I can get a couple, I'd like to train my dog to find them. I'll look up timing.

C_Run
C_Run
jamisonace said:
Spring? I think. Yeah, lets try it. If I can get a couple, I'd like to train my dog to find them. I'll look up timing.

May through July so says the Google. I will try to do some raking this year and let you know if I am finding any. I've never put much time into it but I think we have a few.

Reactions: jamisonace
isabella
isabella
Oregon truffles vary, you have spring truffles may -july winter truffles october through march and the blacks november through march. I dont dig truffles anymore but you can join oregon truffle society and attend their field trips.

jamisonace
jamisonace
isabella said:
Oregon truffles vary, you have spring truffles may -july winter truffles october through march and the blacks november through march. I dont dig truffles anymore but you can join oregon truffle society and attend their field trips.
I didn't know Oregon has black truffles. Are they more rare?

isabella
isabella
Not that rare, Just a different environment too find them. Before every one caught the fever of harvesting truffles, blacks were not that hard too find. Most beds are on private property limiting access due to harvesters trashing the beds.

• Sad
troutdude
troutdude
isabella said:
harvesters trashing the beds.

I've seen that same thing happen to far too many Chanterelle beds over the years. Thankfully they are far more plentiful. And if you venture further OFF of the roads--you'll find them too. Maybe similar strategy applies with Truffles? What say ye @isabella?

isabella
isabella
30 years of harvesting I found it is where the seedlings came from. Seedlings from the nursery in Drain have shown a stronger black truffle trait where as seedlings from the nursery in cedar flats tend too have white truffle traits. I have harvested 5 feet off a public road to 20 miles behind a gate. The mycelium is in the root stock. Look for areas that are semi flat fairly dark and limited veg on the forest floor. Dead blackberries under the canopy are a good place to start for blacks. Look for where voles have dug truffles and left the rind.

Reactions: jamisonace and C_Run
C_Run
C_Run
isabella said:
30 years of harvesting I found it is where the seedlings came from. Seedlings from the nursery in Drain have shown a stronger black truffle trait where as seedlings from the nursery in cedar flats tend too have white truffle traits. I have harvested 5 feet off a public road to 20 miles behind a gate. The mycelium is in the root stock. Look for areas that are semi flat fairly dark and limited veg on the forest floor. Dead blackberries under the canopy are a good place to start for blacks. Look for where voles have dug truffles and left the rind.

I planted several acres of Doug fir from the nursery in Drain in 1991-93. So that sounds like a likely place to look for blacks?

isabella
isabella
C_Run said:
I planted several acres of Doug fir from the nursery in Drain in 1991-93. So that sounds like a likely place to look for blacks?
yes

Reactions: jamisonace