Any tips for the Necanicum River?

G
Green_Tackle
I'm in Cannon Beach for the weekend with some friends. Thinking of hitting the Necanicum in the morning for a couple of hours. I stopped by on the way down and figured I'd wade up stream from Klootchy Creek park. I've got gear for floating jigs and casting spinners.

Any tips or suggestions?

Reactions: n8r1
F
fishtales
I aways set up my pole the night before with who ever is coming with. Getting there early always seem to be a pluss. Just a matter of picking the type of gear you want to use.

B
Big3d
Yesterday i stopped at Klootchy creek park and threw in a few spinners, I caught 2 native 'bows, both very small and of course catch and release even if they would have been Hawgs, When I got home I looked at the restrictions and as far as I can tell the river is closed until sept 1st. anyone know if that's accurate??? It seemed a great place to fish, and I was able to wade the water in my shorts with no problem. It does look like there are bait restrictions, but I wasn't gonna say anything to the guy worm fishing, mostly cuz I didn't know the regs for sure and looks like I may have been fishing illegal.?.?.?

bass
It is closed for Steelhead and Salmon until September 1, but open for trout fishing. The trout fishing regulations for the region are

Streams: (including
tidewaters and
bays): Open
May 28-Oct. 31

The special regulation only apply to the Salmon and the Steelhead which are closed except for special regulations.

Hope that helps.

N
n8r1
You sure they weren't Cutts instead? I've caught roughly 100 trout in there this summer, all sizes, and not one has been a rainbow.

The river is open to trout fishing until 9/1, then it opens up for the bigger fish (Nooks, Silvers, Steel)

I'm pretty sure bait isn't allowed until 9/1, but not positive. I always throw flies and spinners anyhow.

B
Big3d
It's possible fish #2 was a cutt but the first one, 2 casts in on a silver panther martin was def. a native rainbow