Any surf perch fisherman out there?

B
Baydog
Caught the surf perch bug in San Diego a couple years ago and was wondering if anyone fishes them in Northwest Oregon?

L.

C_Run
C_Run
Probably they do. I'm more familiar with the south coast so I couldn't tell you where to try exactly but there should be someone to advise you here. Check old posts under the saltwater fishing subforum.

bythesea is our resident expert on surf perch and he's from Florence. Check his old posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude
plumbertom
plumbertom
When I was living in the hills at the west end of the San Fernando Valley, I often would run over to Malibu or Zuma to fish the surf. Any good beaches in the Florence Area, also?

B
Baydog
thanks guys. I'll search the saltwater forum.

Cheers,
Lance

troutdude
troutdude
Hey Baydog; I just sent a PM to bythesea--who just happened to post up today. Hopefully, he will chime in and help answer your questions. Good luck.

B
bythesea
hey guy's like c-run say's I got a lot of post on here all about my trips one thing It might be a crappy time right now because of the sea's.....don' lose that bug,,,,,,,,, sand shrimp,,sand shrimp,,,sand shrimp!!!!
Good-luck' be carefull sneakers are bad this time of the year...gotta got back in a day's

B
Baydog
bythesea-
I'm trolling through the old posts, thanks for stopping in.

L.

J
Jdangler xD
I JUST moved to Albany from San Diego. Got the surf bug too! I got a family in cannon beach also >.<

EOBOY
EOBOY
Jdangler xD said:
I JUST moved to Albany from San Diego. Got the surf bug too! I got a family in cannon beach also >.<

My favorite place to surf fish is Manhattan beach on the South side of the Nehalem Jetty. But this time of year you would probably do better fishing from the end of the Jetty OFF the rocks.

Wolf

V
Vmartino1
I've been doing well with surf perch. Cover distance on the beach looking for dirty water and areas where waves break further in.

I've exclusively used hi/low rigs like i used on the east coast with 3 oz pyramid sinkers and 8 inch leaders with a size 2 or 4 snell hook. Bait with gulp sandstorms. If you don't get a bit in a spot after awhile keep moving.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Vmartino1 said:
I've been doing well with surf perch. Cover distance on the beach looking for dirty water and areas where waves break further in.

I've exclusively used hi/low rigs like i used on the east coast with 3 oz pyramid sinkers and 8 inch leaders with a size 2 or 4 snell hook. Bait with gulp sandstorms. If you don't get a bit in a spot after awhile keep moving.
I fish a bit differently, not the bait and wait. I like to use a Carolina rig with a 1/2 - 3/4 oz. egg sinker and fish right in the Breaking zone. I only give it a few casts in a spot before moving a short distance and trying again.
My experience has taught me that that's where the fish feed on the stuff churned up by the breakers. They also tend to move up and down the beach while feeding and by not spending too much time in one spot you can find the school quicker. Then the trick is to figure out which way they are moving.
Looking for holes and troughs along the beach helps because the fish like to rest in them between the breakers.
Those camo sand worms have been my first choice and I also like the blood red ones.

V
Vmartino1
Plumberton, I tried your method this morning. Killer. Used a light action set up with 1 ounce egg weight and 2 foot leader. So much more fun and I had no idea some of the biggest perch I've ever caught would be in 6 inches of water.

troutdude
troutdude
^^^ LIKE!!!

I recently watched a youtube video, of a dude fishing with that rig. Thanks for proving that it works!!! I'm going to try it too!

plumbertom
plumbertom
Guys, I'm really happy to be able to share some knowledge that someone else found useful.
I've caught so many fish along the Socal beaches using that rig and method.
I've caught legal Halibut that way as well as 5' (legal) leopard sharks.
I tell people all the time that if they are knee deep in the ocean there are fish between them and the shore.
If people knew how close those sharks get to shore they probably wouldn't go in the water at all, even though Leopard sharks are harmless or nearly so. You'd have to stick your foot right in their mouth for them to bite you.

Reactions: Irishrover
V
Vmartino1
Yea man, thanks. I'd tried a lot of jigs and plugs and spoons in the surf when I lived in Maryland but never hooked anything closer than 30 feet in. Pacific coast is a different beast though! I hear you though about halibut and sharks. Hooked into a large flatfish the other day casting a 2 oz jig in the surf. After a 15 min fight it spoiled me and then eventually broke the line...

That leads me to another question. What kind of gear are you using to crank in halibut and sharks?

plumbertom
plumbertom
Vmartino1 said:
Yea man, thanks. I'd tried a lot of jigs and plugs and spoons in the surf when I lived in Maryland but never hooked anything closer than 30 feet in. Pacific coast is a different beast though! I hear you though about halibut and sharks. Hooked into a large flatfish the other day casting a 2 oz jig in the surf. After a 15 min fight it spoiled me and then eventually broke the line...

That leads me to another question. What kind of gear are you using to crank in halibut and sharks?
My surf gear is the same as I've been using for steelhead, mainly because I can't afford a new rig. A 7.5' Uglystick and a Shimano spinning real, loaded with 15lb P-line. I normally use a 10lb leader.
Leopard sharks are not very strong as they have slim bodies. A 5 footer doesn't weigh 15 lbs. On the SoCal beaches and even offshore the Halibut are California Halibut, not these Pacific 'buts you find here. Ca. 'buts don't grow much above 60 lbs and they are legal at 24in. The largest I've ever caught was a 30 lb, a few miles out from Malibu. YlrcAwSC65lmEgjTqRrezIa6GbCOA8YF6V8=w155-h207-p-no.jpgThat's not me holding my fish by the way. It's the boat Skipper.

J
Jdangler xD
plumbertom said:
I fish a bit differently, not the bait and wait. I like to use a Carolina rig with a 1/2 - 3/4 oz. egg sinker and fish right in the Breaking zone. I only give it a few casts in a spot before moving a short distance and trying again.
My experience has taught me that that's where the fish feed on the stuff churned up by the breakers. They also tend to move up and down the beach while feeding and by not spending too much time in one spot you can find the school quicker. Then the trick is to figure out which way they are moving.
Looking for holes and troughs along the beach helps because the fish like to rest in them between the breakers.
Those camo sand worms have been my first choice and I also like the blood red ones.
Carolina rig for sure when fishing the surf with smaller bait. Could fly fish it if you have better luck with your stripping basket than i do lol. Much more satisfying using spin gear in the surf. The red sand worms or squid . Also use a Carolina rig with 2 hooks sometimes. 1oz egg slider

B
Billamicasr
This was years ago in NorCal. We fished White Rooster Tail spinners in the foot deep water after the breakers crashed; did well in Pacifica and Pescadero Beaches.
This was a tip from one of the guys at Hi's Tackle Box in San Francisco. There were big Stripers in the area that you could see cruising through the waves before they broke.

Used the same idea just South of Winchester Bay (Or) and didn't do well at all. I'm guessing in California the Stripers were chasing small Herring into the shallows and the Perch were feeding.
Do the Oregon Perch feed on small Crab? Is there any substantial bait balls near shore at certain times of year in the Oregon waters?

In another group there is a Hobie guy who fishes Charleston Bay for Perch and does very well.