Any crab in Florence yet?

Q
qwapaw
Kind of want to take the wife crabbing, but not if they aren't there. Dan

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have heard nothing good locally (Siuslaw) or globally (central coast ocean), my only direct observation was Monday when I checked the surf at the S. Jetty about noon- nobody on the crabbing dock and no floats in the lower river.... I am increasingly concerned this is going to be a poor crabbing year...been planning to fish the jetties from my kayak once we get a break in the wind and I will most likely drop a test pot to check on the crab...

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I hook quite a few on the N Jetty casting bait but they fall off, they are there but you have to get out to the Jaws!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Hit the crab dock today for an hour caught about 20 all shorts one was about 5 inches will try Winny Bay tomorrow hungry for some crab!

R
rippin fish lips
I would say those smaller systems with less fresh water coming in will be your best bet this time of year! Get close to the jaws!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rippin fish lips said:
I would say those smaller systems with less fresh water coming in will be your best bet this time of year! Get close to the jaws!

water flow is so low already, under 4' at Mapleton, almost no fresh water has been flowing out for several months...lol...we could be looking at a really weak crabbing summer...hope not.

K
knucklehead 61
is the poor crabbing due to low rain fall / low river flows?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
knucklehead 61 said:
is the poor crabbing due to low rain fall / low river flows?

I don't think so based on poor reports from the ocean up and down the coast, the low river flows actually should result in more crab in the bays/estuaries...I have heard that crab population goes up and down on something like a 10 year cycle, this is sounding like a down year...