Anna Reservoir

M
Motorcycle Fred
I'm getting ready to head down and try some striper fishing at Anna reservoir. Has anyone been down this year? Did you find a hot fly and care to share?

T
The Nothing
Not been there, but I'd probably start off with a rainbow trout pattern, then move through other baitfish patterns.

S
snowrdr
Motorcycle Fred said:
I'm getting ready to head down and try some striper fishing at Anna reservoir. Has anyone been down this year? Did you find a hot fly and care to share?

Streamer patterns are probably the way to go there for the striped bass.

M
Motorcycle Fred
snowrdr said:
Streamer patterns are probably the way to go there for the striped bass.

Thats what I am thinking......tied up about 3 dozen streamers today in various colors and patterns.

M
Motorcycle Fred
I just returned from Anna and while it was a awesome day to be out in the great desert...the fishing just plain sucked! I fished the entire reservoir and threw everything my fly box had and nothing.....nadda....zippo! not even a stupid bite. The last 2 hours of the day we fished the river below the dam and while the fish were feeding like crazy on mayflies they didn't seem to like mine at all. We both got skunked one more time at Anna.......I'm done with that place....its pretty obvious that she doesn't like me....

By the way....the reservoir was only about half full....but the river was flowing a bit higher then normal....

S
snowrdr
Motorcycle Fred said:
The last 2 hours of the day we fished the river below the dam and while the fish were feeding like crazy on mayflies they didn't seem to like mine at all. We both got skunked one more time at Anna.......I'm done with that place....its pretty obvious that she doesn't like me....

By the way....the reservoir was only about half full....but the river was flowing a bit higher then normal....

Did you try any mayfly emergers on the river or just BWO dries?

M
Motorcycle Fred
snowrdr said:
Did you try any mayfly emergers on the river or just BWO dries?

Both....

The water is so clear and the entry points to the river are so limited and steep that those fish are ever present to their surroundings. They feed like crazy until they feel your presence and then they go feed 100' up or downstream from wherever you are fishing. And all this time I thought that the fish at the Metolius were the ones laughing at me....