Anchoring On the river.

L
LuckyStrike
What kind of anchor does everyone use for anchoring here? I have a large columbia river anchor and it doesn't hold well on the bed rock. I also have a 40 pound steel anchor with small fingers coming off a 6 inch round body.

Any help is appreciated.

LS

T
Thuggin4Life
try the can grapling claw you mentioned. my 25lber holds me everywher i have needed it to so far. never boat the umpqua. next time im down there ill take a closer look at a boat for you.

J
JeannaJigs
My 30 pound pyramid held my driftboat the few times I was down there last winter.

S
SantiamDrifter
What kind of boat are we talking about. Anchor a sled in the Columbia With a danforth or plow, plus chain with 400' of rope is different then a 35 pound pyramid for a driftboat.

L
LuckyStrike
SantiamDrifter said:
What kind of boat are we talking about. Anchor a sled in the Columbia With a danforth or plow, plus chain with 400' of rope is different then a 35 pound pyramid for a driftboat.

I have a 21 foot boulton, the one in my avatar. I have anchored in the columbia and rogue with what I call a columbia river anchor. It has four tines and a 10 foot chain and the chain is attached to the bottom of the anchor as well as wire tied to the eye of the anchor. This is so when you get it stuck, the ties break and you pull the anchor with from the base.

L
LuckyStrike
Thuggin4Life said:
try the can grapling claw you mentioned. my 25lber holds me everywher i have needed it to so far. never boat the umpqua. next time im down there ill take a closer look at a boat for you.

Do you use any chain with the grapling claw?

T
Thuggin4Life
No but i should. I think we have the same kind of anchor but mine is smallet than yours. big heavy cylinder with a bunch of small hooks on one end? also i didn't realize your boat was so big. i have a big 12'er. i would be willing to bet if its the same style as mine if you put a few feet of chain on it you could get it to hold in average current.

S
SantiamDrifter
Well if your columbia river anchor isn't doing it for you in the rivers, look into a rocker anchor with chains and plenty of rope.

L
LuckyStrike
Thanks guys. It works in sand, but not so good in gravel or bedrock. Might try the grapple with chain. Got 200 feet of braided rope and an anchor puller system with float. never tried the puller on a grapple anchor.

U
Umpquaspeycaster
I use a rocker style 30lb anchor for an 18' sled. Make sure that any anchor you use has a break-away system at the top. Most of the river bottom of the Umpqua is ledge rock, and you will not be able to retrieve your anchor at times if it can't be pulled up straight from the tines.