Anchor system

C
Commodore S
I'm lookin for some advice, and good prices, on the columbia river anchor system. I'm wanting to put it on my 17' smokercraft, line size, how much, anchor size, and best type. I already know i'll put the anchor pull on the bouy, just need some advice, and input on this other stuff. Want to try some sturg, fishin'. Thanks.

B
BlackTalon
Anchor system

I would buy a used setup. I use a 28lb anchor, about 9' of chain, 280' (thats what was left on the roll when I bought it) of rope, a large buoy and the cheap black plastic puller. I wouldn't buy that puller again but the rest works great. I have a 17ft. Alumaweld with windshield. I also made my own anchor nest from some scraps. A lot of this depends on where you are fishing. Bonneville requires a lot more line that what is needed in the Willamette in my experience. Size of anchor and ball depends on location as well.

For what it's worth.

Evan

C
Commodore S
O.K. thanks agian Paul, the guy at fishermans said I made a good purchase on the Anchor Caddie, Bad idea to go to fishermans, they got me for just under $500.00. When you have a new anchor system you've got to have a new Lamiglas 7' w/a Penn 321 GT, Might as well put 80# braid on. WOW!! I'm really close to being a sturgeon killer now.

Last edited by a moderator:
C
cchinook
anchor

anchor

I know this - please be careful - anchoring in the big C near the dam can be proven to be fatal -

F
frodog
How does it work

How does it work

I have also been contemplating a similar set up as I am finding that my 15lb. navy style anchor isn't up to the task at some of my favorite spots. I would also like to know how do I figure out how heavy an anchor to choose and how much chain I am fishing out of a 17ft. bayliner. Not exactly a dedicated fishing machine but it is what I have and my wife likes it and it beats fishing from the shore most of the time.

P
panderson01
Hey Frodog,

My recommendation would be a 25 - 30# rocker style anchor with an additional 6' of 5/16" chain. This will handle most conditions.

I also have an additional 6' of 3/8" chain that can be wrapped along side the 5/16" to give it more weight in faster waters.

In my personal opinion, if that doesn't do the trick, I don't want to be in that water fishing anyway. There are too many other safer waters that produce fish.

Just my 2c worth.

-Paul

Last edited:
F
frodog
Thanks a lot for the insite I am having an anchor made right now all stainless should be nice I think it will wieght 20-25 lbs.