Rivers Alton Baker Canal Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Caught 3 today in about an hour, water was dead calm and fish were on the surface.

I'm still out here now, hiding under a bridge until the rain passes.

Going to hit my bass spot then try to haul above the 2nd water dam. Fish my way to the west D boat ramp, where the canal gets it's water from.

• 20200418_143837.jpg
  • 20200418_133945.jpg
Reactions: OliverW, fromthelogo and Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Turning into a great day!

Reactions: fromthelogo
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Another decent one

Markk
Markk
Nice!

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
I’m glad you had a great day. Did that second trout hit a Senko?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
fromthelogo said:
I’m glad you had a great day. Did that second trout hit a Senko?
Nope, all my trout came on a Berkley powerworm, not a huge fan of powerbait

I have caught a few trout on senkos out at Honeyman state park though

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
The go-to response when I pull a fish out of the water. Today I dragged the kayak up past the first waterfall and fished the creek up to west D boat ramp, good haul but worth the trip. Water wasn't as busy as I thought it'd be.

Loaded!

6/7 bass and quite a few trout at the pond. Fishing trout has been slow, no one knows if they've stocked it, some watched it happen and others don't think its happening until next week?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Admin and lurkingfisher
L
lurkingfisher
Looking good!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
There's beds in the pond....bass are paired up and have moved out of the creek holes. Couple beds started but not sure how they will last in the mud.

Reactions: Admin and fromthelogo
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Also not sure who put up these no parking signs......but they sure do work! Wasn't any vehicles in the way at all today even though it was probably 3/4 full

Joffurson
Joffurson
Wow. I've been fishing the ponds over by Autzen for bass (they're sure in there) and kept thinking i oughta try out Turtle Pond (what we've always called the canoe canal pond) for em all week. Good to see they're in there. If you see a shady looking fellow in all black with a black cap on wielding an ultralight at em from the bank you can be sure that's me ;) I'll post any catches I make for your inspection.

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Joffurson said:
Wow. I've been fishing the ponds over by Autzen for bass (they're sure in there) and kept thinking i oughta try out Turtle Pond (what we've always called the canoe canal pond) for em all week. Good to see they're in there. If you see a shady looking fellow in all black with a black cap on wielding an ultralight at em from the bank you can be sure that's me ;) I'll post any catches I make for your inspection.
You talking about the ponds/slow spots further west? By the amphitheatre

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Caught a 6lber today. And 6 other fish.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Trout as well

Reactions: Admin
fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Very nice batch of fish!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Quick 2 hour trip after work today. 5 bass and one decent trout

People on Facebook seem to think as soon as you touch a gill on a fish, it's dead. Biggest load of crap I've ever heard (I release everything)

What tree/grass is releasing all these cotton like seeds? Seem to be on every body of water I fish.

Reactions: Admin
C_Run
C_Run
The "cotton" is the seeds of the black cottonwood which is the tall broadleaf tree near the water in your pictures. I have a friend who says when the cotton is flying, it's time to go fishing (re. Springers and summer steelhead).

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
C_Run said:
The "cotton" is the seeds of the black cottonwood which is the tall broadleaf tree near the water in your pictures. I have a friend who says when the cotton is flying, it's time to go fishing (re. Springers and summer steelhead).
That's it!

Definitely time to fish! Alton baker definitely had the most of it, almost makes it hard to cast when the wind bunches it all up

I can't imagine how many of these things get eaten, the bluegill at bond Butte were eating them as soon as they hit the water, probably thought they were bugs

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
2 hour trip today! First time I've taken someone else with me. They caught 2 bass and some trout, as did I! Broke in my new Shimano setup as well

Trout in the lake were plentiful, limit of 5 in about 20 minutes

Bass are done spawning and hitting summer patterns already

Surprisingly, water isn't high and it's still very clear

Reactions: Ultramepps and Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Fished from 11-2

Weather turned out great, cleared up and the people started swarming!

Water is about 6"-1' high and semi-cloudy

Caught a limit out trout first thing, they were hitting a worm just off the bottom, wanted it moving

Caught 2 bass at the honey hole, could see larger ones swimming around but didn't have time to target them

Saw the BIGGEST SCHOOL of Pikeminnows I have ever seen. Must have been 250-300 of them, had one on the first cast, they are a pain to deal with

What's odd was no bass chasing them, just bluegill, wonder if they are too nasty?

Also saw a dead crawfish, wasn't aware there was any in here? I guess there are in the willamette though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom