Alsea River fishing reports

G
GDBrown
Just go give it a try! When I got my first drifter I made a solo trip and left all the fishing gear in the truck. That way I was able to concentrate on the sticks and it is amazing how fast you can pick it up. The only time I hit anything was when the water got too shallow and I scraped bottom for five feet or so.

Have fun and learn to drop and retrieve the anchor as smoothly as possible. You don't want to scare all the fish away before you even get a line in the water!

GD

S
steelhead_stalkers
Good advise. We are planning on doing a few floats before the fish show up just to find good water and plan our attack! :dance:

S
steelhead1
Hit the North fork this morning.There are still a bunch of coho and nooks around but didn't see any steel yet, exept a few fish in the trap at the hatchery!

M
michigan_transplant
thanks for the update, im heading out today and tomorrow.

S
steelhead1
Went 3/4 on the river today,two chromers and a pretty and wild as hell native!ITS ON!

• DSC00363(1).jpg
C
Chedster
Pretty colors on that native. Tying up jigs as we speak for my pre-Christmas steelhead assualt. Does anyone now the details in gaining access to the tree farm across the river from the Clemens stretch?

S
SantiamDrifter
Chedster said:
Pretty colors on that native. Tying up jigs as we speak for my pre-Christmas steelhead assualt. Does anyone now the details in gaining access to the tree farm across the river from the Clemens stretch?

If your talking about the farm just below clemens I believe its 5 bucks per truck. Theres a drop box on the porch of that old house. I only did that once last year then learned you can walk down from the park.

R
rainbowfisherman
Might hit the river either tomorrow or the next day..what do you guys think?

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
id go for it before the water turns to chocolate milk again, it's suppose to rain for a while get out while you can

brandon

M
michigan_transplant
SantiamDrifter said:
If your talking about the farm just below clemens I believe its 5 bucks per truck. Theres a drop box on the porch of that old house. I only did that once last year then learned you can walk down from the park.

I heard a rumor that the guy that owned the house died, and free access but thats just a rumor.

troutdude
troutdude
A buddy told me, that the steelhead count a couple of days ago, was only 158. That is such a low count, that it wouldn't be worthwhile to even try.

Does anyone have any information to the contrary? Has anyone been pulling steel out of the Alsea this month?

J
JeannaJigs
That's actually a pretty good count for December, much better than the counts last year...and those are only the fish counts of hatchery fish, at the hatchery. I know for a fact there's been quite a few fish pulled out this month. I lost a couple the first week of December. But with such a low count, it's best that everyone stay at home and watch TV instead.

R
RunWithSasquatch
JeannaJigs said:
But with such a low count, it's best that everyone stay at home and watch TV instead.

With counts like that, ive actually decided to bag the whole season on the Alsea, gonna wait for next year :lol:

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks Jeanna. Sorry you got skunked.

Yeah...there would need to be a few thousand coming in, before I'd bother trying it. With only 158, that's only about 4 fish per mile...unless they're already hangin' at the hatchery! Either way, those odds aren't in my/our favor.

S
Steelyfishn
troutdude said:

Yeah...there would need to be a few thousand coming in, before I'd bother trying it. With only 158, that's only about 4 fish per mile...unless they're already hangin' at the hatchery! Either way, those odds aren't in my/our favor.

Yeah I am done with the Alsea fishing sucks. I think I will start driving to the Clackamas or Sandy. Not enough fish to evan waste my time with might even give up winter steelhead fishing all together who wants to stand out on a river in 30 degree weather with rain hail and snow... You people are Crazy!!!

B
beaverfan
Steelyfishn said:
who wants to stand out on a river in 30 degree weather with rain hail and snow... You people are Crazy!!!

I do I do!!!! Go ahead stay home!

R
rainbowfisherman
I was out there, rain, hail, and even snow. Didn't get any fish but got some good practice. The weird thing was I didn't see anyone catch a fish. There were a lot of people out too. Do you guys and galls think it'll pick up?

S
Steelyfishn
:)

:)

What a BeaverFan!!!

J
JeannaJigs
troutdude said:

Ha, I don't consider breaking off fish getting skunked....getting skunked is not coming into contact with anything. I'd have gone home with fish had I not made seriously stupid mistakes.

But seriously...if you chase fish based on "hatchery counts" a person will never leave the couch, and never catch anything. But I wish more people thought the Alsea was fishless 'cause then I'd have way less people to contend with on the upper drifts.

troutdude
troutdude
rainbowfisherman said:
I was out there, rain, hail, and even snow. Didn't get any fish but got some good practice. The weird thing was I didn't see anyone catch a fish. There were a lot of people out too. Do you guys and galls think it'll pick up?

My dad grew up fishing the Alsea, back in the 50's. We fished it together in the 70's. Dad ALWAYS went for steel on Thanksgiving day, which is when the run used to get good enough to fish. Usually by now, it's great fishing. So, in my opinion...if it sucks right now...it won't get any better.