Alsea anyone?

J
Jmiddlestadt
Has Anyone done any good over on the Alsea, last I i read was how packed it was after the water fell back into shape. Combat fishing just isn't for me. :lol:
Mabey in a week or two i'll give it a go. :think:

A
ArcticAmoeba
My buds, girlfriends dad lives in town, and has been catchin almost every day for the last 10 day probably...He fishes his days off, Tues. and Wed. until a limit, or just all day, and says the crowds greatly reduce after the start of the week. His lunchbreaks have actually been his most productive time...1-2 p.m., Thurs,
fri, and sat...Hatchery drifts are always good, as everyone knows, but if it is just too crowded, move on. There are fish pretty much everywhere is what the word is, so give it a shot. Eggs, and sand shrimp cocktails were the norm for him aparantly, but now he is running coons, and eggs...And get this. Spawn sacks have been killin 'em every now and then when the "regular" bait bite turns off.

Last edited:
J
Jmiddlestadt
ArcticAmoeba said:
My buds, girlfriends dad lives in town, and has been catchin almost every day for the last 10 day probably...He fishes his days off, Tues. and Wed. until a limit, or just all day, and says the crowds greatly reduce after the start of the week. His lunchbreaks have actually been his most productive time...1-2 p.m., Thurs,
fri, and sat...Hatchery drifts are always good, as everyone knows, but if it is just too crowded, move on. There are fish pretty much everywhere is what the word is, so give it a shot. Eggs, and sand shrimp cocktails were the norm for him aparantly, but now he is running coons, and eggs...And get this. Spawn sacks have been killin 'em every now and then when the "regular" bait bite turns off.

:clap: wow, what a report!!! :clap: That is great information, thanks AA! I might have to take the long way to Newport in the Morning! The Wife wants to go Crabbing with me in Yaquina Bay, i'll see if I can convince her to take the "scenic route!":cool:
Thanks again!

A
ArcticAmoeba
Wicked, The Yaq is one onf my favorite places to fish, along with another friendof mine. But the info was no problem, just asked whats bees happenin lately down there. But do try to get the significant other to take the long way. It could easily be worht it, especially if the crowds are small. Less pressure makes for better fishin! Good luck man!

R
rainbowfisherman
I fished down there for Chinnok in late fall and guys were catching steelhead already so i think they have a pretty good steelhead hatchery.

R
rainbowfisherman
i went to the hatchery also do the winter steelhead swim up that creek

C
Cascade
hows the bite on the Alsea? haven't heard from anyone up that way lately and was thinking of spending the weekend in Waldport. anyone know if Steelhead get caught down in the bay, or on the crabbing docks? would like to let the kids catch crab while I fish. what would be the best rig down that low? have plenty of row, spinners, corkies, worms.... any help greatly appreciated.

A
ArcticAmoeba
The Alsea is fishin hard...Has been for quite some time now actually...definitely worth some investigating if you are in the area, or plan to be.

Try worms, and bait from the bank, and try, if a t all possible to check the water temps, and clarity....Along with the general levels...If they are indicative, or conducive to spinners, throw 'em.. Always had good luck way low with 'em, but never up high in the cold.

Last edited:
C
Chedster
Spent today wandering the banks of the Alsea looking for a bite but no luck. I have heard the bite has been good but today was slow, did not see or hear of any fish landed where I was. Up at the hatchery was probably a different story. Spent most of my day retying my drift setup:(

R
RIVERFISHER
Chedster said:
Spent today wandering the banks of the Alsea looking for a bite but no luck. I have heard the bite has been good but today was slow, did not see or hear of any fish landed where I was. Up at the hatchery was probably a different story. Spent most of my day retying my drift setup:(

the bite now is all up above the hatchery or from hatchery to that first bridge....seen a lot caught last week on opposite side of river where u have to hike in....im going monday hoping that not to many peeps will be out... had to take the day off to do it:).......my company just wont lay me off so i can fish every day:(.. guess thats a good thing... well vacation day time hehe.. good luck everyone....

A
ArcticAmoeba
Haha, right on! Vacation time on a fishy fishy system. Nice..;)

C
Chedster
You talking about the bridge the main road goes over right where you turn to go to the hatchery? Is there fishing up past the hatchery? As you can tell I'm new to the river and steelheading in general.

RIVERFISHER said:
the bite now is all up above the hatchery or from hatchery to that first bridge....seen a lot caught last week on opposite side of river where u have to hike in....im going monday hoping that not to many peeps will be out... had to take the day off to do it:).......my company just wont lay me off so i can fish every day:(.. guess thats a good thing... well vacation day time hehe.. good luck everyone....

R
RIVERFISHER
Chedster said:
You talking about the bridge the main road goes over right where you turn to go to the hatchery? Is there fishing up past the hatchery? As you can tell I'm new to the river and steelheading in general.

ya im ki9nda new also but ya you are right that bridge some was caught and then up the road to the hatchery..... you can fish a bit farther than the hatchery and besides the main hole called the meathole i hear the best fishing is right above the hatchery....man i hate not being able to sleep... im not even going anywere good just up to dexter and im all amped...well good luck to everyone this morning im going to try and get another few hours sleep hopefully....:shock:

R
RIVERFISHER
well today sucked on the alsea.... i managed to get into 2 tho.....and seen 1 landed... 2 i got into was in morning and one gave me a run for my money and won.. the other was just a headshaker and then spit.....both in same hole right after eachother....the one i faught was first so i figured i got into a buck and hen doin the nasty and interupted....

C
Chedster
Water seems to be getting pretty low, did see a few taken but nothing for me