All boats with motors need fire extinguishers

W
wils
Just a heads up......
Sheriffs were doing boat safety checks in the parking lot at Prineville Res yesterday. I took my "certification" course earlier this year and we were told at that time that boats UNDER 16' weren't required to have an extinguisher. Well, the law was changed 2 years ago and now all outboards must have a fire extinguisher. ALSO..... all electric motors need an extinguisher due to electrical/battery fires.

Just a heads-up. Fine is over $250 if cited on the water.

Reactions: Chromatose
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
wils said:
Just a heads up......
Sheriffs were doing boat safety checks in the parking lot at Prineville Res yesterday. I took my "certification" course earlier this year and we were told at that time that boats UNDER 16' weren't required to have an extinguisher. Well, the law was changed 2 years ago and now all outboards must have a fire extinguisher. ALSO..... all electric motors need an extinguisher due to electrical/battery fires.

Just a heads-up. Fine is over $250 if cited on the water.

well the Oregon Marine Board website under "Equipment Requirements for Motorboats Less Than 16 Feet in Length" still says this:

"3) One B-I type approved fire extinguisher when no fixed fire extinguishing system is installed in machinery space(s). (Fire extinguishers are not required on outboard motorboats less than 26 feet in length and of open construction.) No B-I type extinguisher is required if an approved fixed fire extinguishing system is installed in machinery space(s). "

so if the law changed 2 years ago, they are a little late updating it at the website...and a fire extinguisher is now required on a kayak or pontoon with an electric motor? that would be news to me...

T
TimberTodd
I emailed the marine board last spring about this. I was putting a 50lb thrust electric motor on my 12' drift boat. I cited the requirements that Roger listed above. I was told no extinguisher was needed. I printed off that email and carry it with my boat license on board just in case.

W
wils
just relating what I was told by the sheriff yesterday, gentlemen....and I aint one to be arguing with a guy with a gun on his hip and a citation booklet in his back pocket.

Personally, if my 14' gregor ever catches fire, it'll be a gas fire..... I'll be swimmin'!

My new fire extinguisher could be helpful with somebody elses' fire if need be. :)

T
TimberTodd
I appreciate you relaying the info. wils. I sure wish these agencies would all get on the same page.

troutdude
troutdude
No doubt TT. Before heading up to Lake Harriet, back in June, I got 3 different boat motor answers from PGE, the NFS, and the OSMB!!!

To me...if it ain't listed on the OSMB web site...then they have nothing to enforce.

Chromatose
Chromatose
Nice of you to make post about this wils................................Thank You.

P
playhooky
troutdude said:
No doubt TT. Before heading up to Lake Harriet, back in June, I got 3 different boat motor answers from PGE, the NFS, and the OSMB!!!

To me...if it ain't listed on the OSMB web site...then they have nothing to enforce.

Any authorized personnel attempting to enforce a law or even quoting a law to a public citizen should be readily able to also accurately refer to the mandate reference from which it is written so that the accused can read up, verify it and understand the law (rule, regulation) for themselves. I don't mind complying with legitimate laws, however; the authority having jurisdiction needs to be able to "show me".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
Ding Ding!!!

T
twout
Thanks for posting that wils. The past 2 times I have been inspected the State Trooper has asked for the extinguisher and never use to, that explains it. I got the extinguisher for $9.99 at Bimart, I know taking a day to drive down to the Court House and argue my case in front of the Judge, even if I win will cost me more then that.

M
mosd
my 16' poacher boat got checked last year by the coast guard, they where saying that even tho i had a extingusher having a fire extinguisher wasn't mandatory due to the fact that i had a throw-able gas can

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
mosd said:
my 16' poacher boat got checked last year by the coast guard, they where saying that even tho i had a extingusher having a fire extinguisher wasn't mandatory due to the fact that i had a throw-able gas can

that was my experience the last 2 times I had my CG check up. I definitely carry a fire extinguisher and they agreed that is a good idea but also said it wasn't required provided all fuel was in standard portable fuel containers and in the open area in the back of the boat.