Albany duck ponds

D
Drew9870
So I think Albany has to be my new favorite place to fish, the bodies of water are what I think of when I feel like catching Carp, especially Waverly Pond.

But I was wondering if anyone has tried for Carp in any of the little duck ponds around Albany, or if there are any better places than Waverly, Freeway, Swan, and Timber-linn Lakes, I hear Freeway is the best bet, but I want to know what the nameless ponds are like cuz I saw one along Waverly Dr that was a straight up Duck Pond and it looked like it held a few Carp. I usually like to find the smallest body of water that produces Carp, thats why I like the Duck Ponds so much, cuz if you cast out, most every carp can smell your bait, any recommendations on small Carp ponds?

Last edited by a moderator:
M
Mike123
Are there any big carp in Waverly pond?

B
Bass Ackwards
There are a tons of carp in waverly. I bass fished there a lot this summer. One day I was on the southwest corner and the sun hit the water just right and I counted 30 plus carp all between 10 and 20lbs some probably even bigger. I tried corn and worms for about 30mins and got nothing but I don't have enough patience to just sit and wait so i went back to bass fishing. There are quite a few bass in there too although I haven't caught any over 2lbs. but i've heard of a few nice ones comin out of there.

M
Mike123
Holy crap.. do these carp bite in winter? I've never caught or fished for carp but it sounds like a fun way to spend a few hours. How deep is Waverly?

L
lilsalmon
Bass Ackwards said:
There are a tons of carp in waverly. I bass fished there a lot this summer. One day I was on the southwest corner and the sun hit the water just right and I counted 30 plus carp all between 10 and 20lbs some probably even bigger. I tried corn and worms for about 30mins and got nothing but I don't have enough patience to just sit and wait so i went back to bass fishing. There are quite a few bass in there too although I haven't caught any over 2lbs. but i've heard of a few nice ones comin out of there.

I have fished Waverly a couple times but never had even a bite....I wouldn't mind some ideas on what to use, if you wouldn't. :D There are some days that I want to fish early morning before work but don't really want to drive far. Anything would be appreciated.

J
juggernaut506
Drew9870 said:
So I think Albany has to be my new favorite place to fish, the bodies of water are what I think of when I feel like catching Carp, especially Waverly Pond.

But I was wondering if anyone has tried for Carp in any of the little duck ponds around Albany, or if there are any better places than Waverly, Freeway, Swan, and Timber-linn Lakes, I hear Freeway is the best bet, but I want to know what the nameless ponds are like cuz I saw one along Waverly Dr that was a straight up Duck Pond and it looked like it held a few Carp. I usually like to find the smallest body of water that produces Carp, thats why I like the Duck Ponds so much, cuz if you cast out, most every carp can smell your bait, any recommendations on small Carp ponds?

The one off of Waverly is Grand Prairie Pond, if you follow Periwinkle Creek down behind Periwinkle Elementary there's another pond also. There's probably carp in there but I've never seen them. There are lots of pumpkinseeds, bullheads and largemouth bass in there. I live on Periwinkle Creek about a mile from there and have caught largemouth bass up to 3 lbs in the creek and ponds.

B
Bass Ackwards
Mike123 said:
Holy crap.. do these carp bite in winter? I've never caught or fished for carp but it sounds like a fun way to spend a few hours. How deep is Waverly?

I think they would bite if you had enough patience. Plus not as many people feed the ducks like they do in summer and I think the carp feed on the bread too so they might be more hungry.....just what i think. I'm not sure how deep it it though.

B
Bass Ackwards
lilsalmon said:
I have fished Waverly a couple times but never had even a bite....I wouldn't mind some ideas on what to use, if you wouldn't. :D There are some days that I want to fish early morning before work but don't really want to drive far. Anything would be appreciated.

Well i have only been a couple times this winter and have been skunked too! But all summer i was just walking around the lake throwing the small roostertails and rebel floating grasshoppers. Even though most of the fish were small, there was the occasional 1-2lber and it was non stop action.

J
juggernaut506
If you want a lot of carp in Albany go to Swan Lakes behind Cape Lee Apts. You can also fish the ponds off of Horseshoe road or at Truax Island Greenway. I usually go out to the last two in late spring and early summer and just shoot them with pellet guns or .22's.

B
Bass Ackwards
juggernaut506 said:
If you want a lot of carp in Albany go to Swan Lakes behind Cape Lee Apts. You can also fish the ponds off of Horseshoe road or at Truax Island Greenway. I usually go out to the last two in late spring and early summer and just shoot them with pellet guns or .22's.

Hey juggernaut, you seem to know a lot around albany... What is truax island greenway by??

T
TTFishon
I was wondering about this pond.Google Maps I have fished it twice without any luck.

J
juggernaut506
I've lived in Albany for 21 years now so I found a lot of great ponds. Truax Island is on Riverside Drive. If you head out of Albany toward Corvallis on Riverside you'll see a little sign on the left hand side that points to the hidden road to your right. When you go down there during the spring and summer the gate is open and you can walk back to a couple ponds after you cross a slough.
Another place you can try to catch carp is at a pond behind Teloh-Calapooia Park. There's hundreds of carp back there.

B
Bass Ackwards
Sweet!!! Thanx a lot man.

L
lilsalmon
Bass Ackwards said:
Hey juggernaut, you seem to know a lot around albany... What is truax island greenway by??

I was just going to ask the same thing...thanks for the info too

B
Bass Ackwards
TTFishon said:
I was wondering about this pond.Google Maps I have fished it twice without any luck.

I tried there a couple times too....nothing. I did see a big ass beaver though. That was pretty cool.

J
juggernaut506
The ponds behind Teloh-Calapooia Park is where I saw over a hundred carp going crazy spawning one summer when I was 12 or 13. The ponds are hard to find but if you go though the woods to the west you'll find the trails that go out to them.

B
Bass Ackwards
juggernaut506 said:
The ponds behind Teloh-Calapooia Park is where I saw over a hundred carp going crazy spawning one summer when I was 12 or 13. The ponds are hard to find but if you go though the woods to the west you'll find the trails that go out to them.

Awesome, I just found them on google maps. You ever fish them before??

D
Drew9870
Thanks everyone, next time I go to Albany I probably won't be able to make up my mind on where to go first.

Where is this Teloh-Calapooia Park? And would you say this is the most carp filled pond in Albany that you know of?

J
juggernaut506
I haven't fished it in probably 9 years. At that time it was amazing how many were in there though so I'm sure it's still full of them.
As for the most carp filled pond in Albany I'd say it is about even with the ponds off of Horseshoe Lane. The best carp spot there is from the bridge but there's so many lilly pads that you have to use a heavy enough rod to horse them around to keep from getting tangled up.

T
Troutier Bassier
Mike123 said:
Do all salmon bite when there spawning?