Alaska cancels king and snow crab season - due to "population collapse"!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm not sure who can afford king crab anyway. Last year it was $39.99/lb at Costco.

• Wow
Reactions: troutdude
hobster
hobster
Yeah I read about that a few days ago. The snow crab population went from 8 billion in 2018 to 1 billion in 2021. One theory is they have gone for cooler water. Sucks either way, another example of global warming I imagine. Hopefully they will bounce back, that is a massive decrease. I guess it’s not unusual for the king crab to be canceled.
When I was a kid in Virginia in the early 80s we used to eat at the Chesapeake bay seafood house. My dad would always order all you could eat king crab for less than $20 đŸ˜® my how times have changed

Casting Call
Casting Call
hobster said:
Yeah I read about that a few days ago. The snow crab population went from 8 billion in 2018 to 1 billion in 2021. One theory is they have gone for cooler water. Sucks either way, another example of global warming I imagine. Hopefully they will bounce back, that is a massive decrease. I guess it’s not unusual for the king crab to be canceled.
When I was a kid in Virginia in the early 80s we used to eat at the Chesapeake bay seafood house. My dad would always order all you could eat king crab for less than $20 đŸ˜® my how times have changed
Win-Co Dungees in Corvalis is @ $12.99lb average legal is 2 1/2lb un-frozen = $32.47. That's Insane!!!!!! Do the math at that rate of a limit of dungees. Go figure???? Tony

S
Socaaron
Not really surprising, they canceled the US King Crab season last year and reduced the Snow crab quota by 80%
The only open waters were Russian Bering sea and well you know...
Biologist have been noting a lack of Juveniles in the King cohorts for some time now, while the average age of adults increased.
For the King Crab you found at Costco that all belongs to one Russian billionaire who owns a large portion of the quota through his boats, he signed an exclusive deal to process and sell to Costco restricting King into to other marekets. That $39.99lb is less than what most Wholesalers/Distributors are selling to their customers(Grocery stores, Restuarants, etc)

Reactions: Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
Socaaron said:
Not really surprising, they canceled the US King Crab season last year and reduced the Snow crab quota by 80%
The only open waters were Russian Bering sea and well you know...
Biologist have been noting a lack of Juveniles in the King cohorts for some time now, while the average age of adults increased.
For the King Crab you found at Costco that all belongs to one Russian billionaire who owns a large portion of the quota through his boats, he signed an exclusive deal to process and sell to Costco restricting King into to other marekets. That $39.99lb is less than what most Wholesalers/Distributors are selling to their customers(Grocery stores, Restuarants, etc)
Socaaron my reference was Dungeness crab Tony

S
Socaaron
Casting Call said:
Socaaron my reference was Dungeness crab Tony
I understood that Tony, the 39.99 reference was related to @jamisonace's comment on King at Costco not sure if i hit reply to your comment, if i did my bad :)

Casting Call
Casting Call
Socaaron said:
I understood that Tony, the 39.99 reference was related to @jamisonace's comment on King at Costco not sure if i hit reply to your comment, if i did my bad :)
No! No! No! My bad all is good bro! Tony