Advice: you caught a fish, now what?

D
DrTheopolis
joem said:
then stringer in the water works fine

Sometimes the crawdads think so, too.

Keep an eye on it, make sure you're not getting raided.

C_Run
C_Run
DrTheopolis said:

I had seagulls take my trout, all of them, when I stepped away for too long. I also agree with troutmasta, buying the ice ahead of time is a sure way to get skunked.

J
joem
DrTheopolis said:

never had that problem? i fish siuslaw in the winter but put them on the bank then cause its so cold and mckenzie in the summer and never a problem so i guess its just in certain rivers?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
C_Run said:
I had seagulls take my trout, all of them, when I stepped away for too long. I also agree with troutmasta, buying the ice ahead of time is a sure way to get skunked.

that is why I like the $0.99 reusable ice packs and this $4.99 soft sided insulated bag from TraderJoe's, it measures 22" diagonally, 2 ice packs keep it cold all day and it will hold 20 kokes or a 28" coho (if you bend it a little...:) ) it fits under my kayak seat, or inside bench storage hold on our PB, and I have also carried it along stream fishing like a creel....being prepared for fish should not bring with it the risk of skunk, right?

D
DrTheopolis
Yesterday, my friend and I had neither ice nor any sort of bag whatsoever (minor oversight), so we naturally caught fish.

T
Throbbit _Shane
DrTheopolis said:
Yesterday, my friend and I had neither ice nor any sort of bag whatsoever (minor oversight), so we naturally caught fish.

It works that way. No net, no camera, no ice, no etc. equals fish lol. Fishermen are a superstitious bunch haha.

E
eugene1
Sometimes I stack the deck in my favor and go really minimal, just me in the boat and no ice, no fish bag or cooler, two rods and two baits (two rods are legal for nooks down here). Sometimes it works quite well.

Best,

DrTheopolis said:

Throbbit _Shane said:
It works that way. No net, no camera, no ice, no etc. equals fish lol. Fishermen are a superstitious bunch haha.

D
DrTheopolis
Well, you don't want the jynx in full effect - if you only bring one rod on the boat, you'll break it, guaranteed.

J
JeannaJigs
DrTheopolis said:
Well, you don't want the jynx in full effect - if you only bring one rod on the boat, you'll break it, guaranteed.

Or lose it overboard. Shane and combatchuck experienced my rod loss anger that day (sorry guys lol). I'm sure if looks could kill they'd both be dead because I just sat up front running the boat angry the rest of the day until we almost ran out of gas on outgoing tide. Ohhh what a fun day lol.

Yesterday I packed the killbag full of ice for the first time ever, and naturally the bite the day before completely ceased to exist. Bad mudslide made the river puke mud so I'm going to blame that since fish were everywhere...but...in the back of my mind...i know it's because I bought that damn ice.

So never bring ice. It's completely unecessary. You can always buy ice nearby for the trip home. The river will keep your fish cold in the summer, and whe air will keep them cool in the fall/winter. Just cut those eggs out 5 minutes after bleeding and save a little room in your bait box, for eggs I always pack ziplocs with paper towels folded up inside and they're always in my backpack.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I always bring ice.

Confidence is nothing to be afraid of.

T
troutmasta
JeannaJigs said:
in the back of my mind...i know it's because I bought that damn ice.

So never bring ice. It's completely unecessary.
X2, its bad luck

No ice yesterday=4 nooks to the bank.

I have literally drove back with empty coolers too many times. The days with no ice chest. I have nooks on the dash board wrapped in hoodies.
Chromers buckled in the back seat wrapped in waders and jackets.

On My Way Home- I stop and get a bag of ice to set on the whole pile of death. (unless its the Sandy or Clack, then its no-nessacito)

Last edited:
F
FishFinger
RunWithSasquatch said:
I always bring ice.

Confidence is nothing to be afraid of.

Ditto!