Advice on Penn reel

L
luv2fish
Hows Penn 209M baitcasting reel ? It has a gear ratio of 3:1 and spools 320 yards of 20lb mono...lemme know cuz i'm thinking of getting one ..for really cheap...any word???

A
ArcticAmoeba
I would use it for the Tidewater fisheries near the coast. It only has a 2.8-3.0:1 ratio, and that means like 15-17 inches of retrieved line per crank roughly... It would work, but I would only use it for really big game, like salty Salmon, or even bigger fish, keeper sturgeon would be fine I'm sure. If you are looking for a simple baitcaster to drift fish with from the bank, ABU make 2 that are in their "low profile" line, and they are cheap, and cast like crazy...Kind of like de-tuned Revos. The Penn should do you fine for bigger angling just fine, and yes they are pretty cheap aren't they. Just my two cents...Why don't you tell us what you pan to use the reel for, and maybe someone can offer up some alternatives, as I think that would be cumbersome, plunking, and especially drift fishing.

L
luv2fish
Thanks Ian,,,,I usually float eggs at the bottom on coastal rivers or tide water...so i'm looking for something that can handle salmon from bank as well as boat..now i looked at revo,,but they are 12lb/145 yards max...i donno it seems kinda edgy to use that for coastal salmon..especially fall salmon...and besides that they are like $ 129 ...for me fishing is not an investment and just plain ol fun...where you don hae to put money for pleasure..i hope you agree with me...i just fish with lil things and doesn't go for big set ups or expensive lures...just something here and there ...like old times...

i found one on revo which is revo series blackmax..

BLACKMAX (1129926) 5 Right Hand 6.2:1 12 lb/160yards $49.99...what lb test can it hold for coastal salmon....i seriously doubt that but then you have been a long time fisherman so u know it better than me...

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
luv2fish,
I like the penn 209 it is a great reel to use on a trolling set up. I have a few of them and use them for guest on my boat when we troll or anchor up for salmon. They are cheep and even cheeper when you find them at gargage sales or second hand stores. If I see on cheep enough I usually snapp it up, or just about any other old peen reel. That beeing said I would not use one to cast with or drift fish they arn't the best for that type of fishing.

Just my opinion, but for a level wind casting reel I like the Shimano corsair 300a, I also like the Quantuam IR300c. These style of reel have a clutch type of breaking system that helps prevent the hated backlash birds nest from happening. One of my fishing pals hates the Shimano and will only fish with the Ambassador line of reels for casting. So it really is what works good for you, but I highly suggest looking at a reel that has the ability to adjust the tension on the reel (not to be confused with the drag). The other option of course is a good heavy spinng reel. When I'm river fishing I bring my Shimano 4000 along and can cast all day with it, it's a large spinning reel and holds up well. Good luck :D Irishrover

Last edited:
L
luv2fish
yeah thats the whole idea..i can use 209 M for salmon fishing on river and while sturgeon fishing as well. Otherwise I've Daiwa opus 5500 spinning reel. Its huge and holds 40# P line in good quantity. I used it last year on Nestuccs while fishing from bank ( float eggs on the bottom)....I'm not looking for drift reel since i already use Mitchell 300ex which is good for 12# line ..even 15 and its small has good drag and is light..i can cast from it all day...i was just wondering 209 M for plunking from bank..not for huge distance but just say like 10-15 feet...but now i think i'll stick to my daiwa opus for that purpose...anyways...thanks and i appreciate the advise.

O
Osprey
I'd take a look at the ABU Garcia Ambassador 5500...it goes on sale quite often for around $55. It's a good baitcaster and an awesome trolling reel. I've caught everthing from crappie to sturgeon with mine. I did about a year ago get an Ambassador Record reel that I use for Salmon and sturgeon. It has a bigger handle but cost around $140. But it's got a better drag and casts awesome.