A totally shiny day...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
mikeredding said:
And now look.................................you are beating the hell out of me this year.
Way to go.

yeah, go figure. last year we were figuring out all sorts of ways to lose fish :sad:; this year we are 12 for 13 in Sept/Oct. :)

the one thing that I changed right before our chinook fishing went from cold to hot was to adjust my herring rig to have the back hook trailing just slightly behind the herring's tail. this is nothing new to more experienced people but I am convinced it really helped our catch rate: all but one fish has been cleanly hooked in the jaw on the trailing hook, some back in the corner, others forward in the front of the jaw. (Igor's 42" buck inhaled everything, both hooks were in the back of its mouth). Even the big one that I lost was hooked real good, I have the bent 4-0 back hook as a momento of my drag overtightening error.

For several of our fish, early in the fight when they came up near the boat, I could see the whole herring still on the forward hook just in front of the fish, it always came off later in the fight or at netting but I concluded many of our fish are getting hooked while striking near the bait...

I started a thread on this called "Tidewater tail striking" on Sept. 10 and added a youtube link that I had watched. I will admit, on Sept. 5 when I put my first rig in the water with the loose trailing hook, spinning around by the tail, I did not like the way it looked. 20minutes later I had a big hen in the cooler, and a couple hours later had my first ever limit. I quickly changed my opinion of that loose trailing hook...:D

J
JeannaJigs
Awesome report! You're just slaying them this year! Those eggs skeins are curing beautifully :) I find that the seals in the siuslaw are pretty slow I've lost a couple but they're not the most athletic as compared to other estuaries. Thank god. Lol

T
The Big Show
Are you guys running cut plug all the time with the trailing hook?

97trapper
@ the big show,we do run a trailing hook or a mooching rig ,we run criclie hooks with the barb pinch down 1.5 below the tail of the bait

Reactions: eugene1
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
The Big Show said:
Are you guys running cut plug all the time with the trailing hook?

yep, most people would be running cut plug, I have been using a slightly smaller whole herring in a special rig but the hooking is the same, back hook trails loose at or slighty behind the tail...

J
Jay Herb
Roger,
we were at Moe's having lunch at 2;00 PM on Monday Oct. 7 and saw a kayak fisherman, was that you ?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Jay Herb said:
Roger,
we were at Moe's having lunch at 2;00 PM on Monday Oct. 7 and saw a kayak fisherman, was that you ?

nope, Rachelle and I were out in the PB that day...there was a guy out there that we have seen regularly in a paddle kayak, I think his name is Craig...didn't get to see if you caught one that day...roger

J
Jay Herb
I wasn't fishing, just playing tourist on the coast and saw a kayak fishermen on the river and though it may be you. A few days earlier we were at Bandon and the fishing was poor and so was the crabbing. It's nice that you and your wife had a good day and hope that you have more good days before winter sets in. Jay