A thought on drift fishing

Y
yellowjacket
Quick Change Lead

Quick Change Lead

I haven't drifted very much but a couple of thoughts. As far as changing weight with lead. I read & do have a number of pre-made lengths with tube & can hook/clip to the swivel just as easy as a slinky. I also made a rig up with main line to leader with a barrel swivel and used 3/16 . I take a snap swivel & push the eye & barrel into the tube with the lead & clip in to the main line eye on the barrel swivel. Helps to minimize line twist that way.
The noise factor - I don't know what that may do bad or good but just thinking about Blue fox type bell rattle spinners. If the metallic ting of those is supposed to get strikes I don't see why the sound of the bouncing lead would get less strikes. Thought the only advantage of slinky's was they hang up less.

F
FishFinger
I have been a practitioner of all 3 types of drift weight mentioned. I far and away prefer hollow core pencil lead, followed by the solid core & surgical tubing. In years past I made up scads of slinkies. The action was far to mushy and much to my dismay I often found after repeated casts the fibers on the cord would relax and allow bb after bb to pop out .

My hordes of slinkies now reside in a box in my "not often used" section of my fishing gear collection.

F
Fishtopher
Catch 22 said:
Ah but what the hell do I know anyway? I just use regular ol parachute cord for my slinkies. :lol:

:lol:...Happens to the best of us;)...:lol:

F
Fishtopher
FishFinger said:
My hordes of slinkies now reside in a box in my "not often used" section of my fishing gear collection.

IF they ever need a loving, caring home, ya know, someone to drown them:shock::whistle:....

L
luv2fish
Fishtopher said:
In the spirit of a good hearted debate, I object to the whole "lead gets down faster than a slinky", and the whole profile thing. You can get slinky lead in ANY size shot, and the same goes for the parachute cord that it gets stuffed in. Aside from using split shot in low flows, I havent needed to use just lead. And I have never found a flow that could "float" my slinky. (And no, my slinky's are not 4-6 inches long:lol:)

Sorry fishtopher..was not in the country cuz of business reasons...

anyways..i underlined "your objection"..which lead us to this constructive arguement........

You say you object to this whole lead gets down faster than a slinky...rite...

Now a very simple exercise...you can say trippin or repeating..or whatever...but honestly i donno how to explain other than plain english...
so yeah...take a lead of 1 ounce and make your slinky of 1 ounce...try it..its fun...lol...now drop em in water..and see which one goes faster...

I am not arguing about missing the action under water by a nano second...but just when you need to get your weight down in water faster...

I personally use both and had good results on both...If your a hardcore slinky user I won't argue and by all means stick to your choice..

You should try in for SITCOMs or screenplay writing or writers guild...i like your humour and its hard to find good comedy these days..try it..hey you never know ..mebbe i see you on TV;)

M
metalmania
I like to use slinkies packed tight with 7 1/2 bird shot. I find I get the feel close to pencil lead and I can usually go 1 or 2 trips without ever losing a weight, plus 30 bucks worth of shot and cord will literally last a lifetime.