A few hours in West Linn

B
Big3d
A Buddy and I hit the good ol West Linn Dock yesterday. I caught 2 one was about 2 1/2 ft one a bit over 3, lost 3, and 2 broke off my rig... My Buddy caught 1 in the 2 ft range. He hooked up on two different occasions with breakoff fish easily oversize. the first snapped his old worn braid mainline, so he cut it down a bunch. The second snapped his 90 lb dacron leader like it was 4 lb test. That second one started right from the hookset on a run that completely spooled his reel to the backing, as soon as he tried to apply some breaks to the situation it busted loose. I would guess it was a very large fish! I have a picture of my smaller fish.

20131120_112731[1].jpg

T
troutmasta
Thats a powerfull fish to snap 90 lb dracon! I'd be inclined to think it rubbed it on something, knowing the location Id say it was a 1989-94 honda civic.

There are some dinos in that hole!

Nice Job

S
steelheader19
awesome!!!

bass
bass
Sounds like you were into some good fish. Better luck next time. Maybe you all need a more abrasion resistant leader when fight fish from the shore.

B
Big3d
I agree bass. Thanks guys. I feel like I want to hurrythem in for a fast unhook, this causes me to challenge the fish to snap my line. My buddy had no choice. Break or spool. Small update: his reel is toast, won't tighten down anymore. Stock shakespeare reel.

D
DirectDrive
Big3d said:
I agree bass. Thanks guys. I feel like I want to hurrythem in for a fast unhook, this causes me to challenge the fish to snap my line. My buddy had no choice. Break or spool. Small update: his reel is toast, won't tighten down anymore. Stock shakespeare reel.
Can't think of any Shakespeare reel that would handle Mr. Toad very well.

Some rugged, Toad-Tested reels are the Daiwa 50H or 30H.
They're no longer made but fairly cheap to buy in the used market.
(the "SL" models are the new version, more expensive and not as rugged)

Give Ollie Damon's a call and ask about parts availability for these before buying.
Daiwa is pretty good for support of older reels, but I would check.