A better method than TIP?

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
The boy had a his monthly Lab at OMSI with his school today, so I took the opportunity to drown some night-crawlers. I walked to the fishing dock just upstream from the steel/RR bridge. Upon arrival I saw two individuals handling a clearly under sized sturgeon, and rope stringer. They had just dropped it into the water as I reached them. In a joking/non-confrontational manner I said "That's a small one, you should release it", but the only reaction was smiles and nods. I carried my stuff down passed them, and used my phone to verify that the reg's are C&R for that area, regardless of size, so I opted to contact the TIP phone number on the web-site. I didn't necessarily want to be a tattle-tale, but having had difficulties in the past trying to clarify fish and game reg's with folks, I tend to let someone with authority handle it. My call could not be completed as dialed! I was unsure who else to contact or how. I started to rig up, while I pondered what if anything I was going to do, and one of the 2 walked over and watched my entire process from tying up, to baiting and casting, giving me a thumbs up. He was an elderly gentlemen with a friendly smile, so I decided to chat him up about the fish. Unfortunately we had a huge language barrier, so neither of us understood the other. I tried to show him the exceptions page on my phone, but he didn't read English either. Our hand gestures (polite ones) led us to his fish basket which had 3 carp, and no rope stringer. I pointed to his friends but to no avail, so I gave up.

I don't believe they are deliberate violators; I really think they are unaware of the reg's, but ignorance is not an legitimate excuse for violating laws. I am fairly certain they are regulars, and it saddens me that they may be allowed to continue taking anything that they haul. They are also putting the health of themselves and their loved one's at risk if they are eating resident fish from that location.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
P
pinstriper
IMO it isn't "tattling". Using the TIP line, or calling any kind of hotline, is there to keep you from having to play policeman.

Dial away, I say. Then stay out of it.

No different than calling in when you see a drunk driver on the road, albeit smaller consequences all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck said:
I carried my stuff down passed them, and used my phone to verify that the reg's are C&R for that area, regardless of size, so I opted to contact the TIP phone number on the web-site. I didn't necessarily want to be a tattle-tale, but having had difficulties in the past trying to clarify fish and game reg's with folks, I tend to let someone with authority handle it. My call could not be completed as dialed!

Any suggestions?

I agree pinstriper, my message got lost in my story. I did try to call, but my call would not go through. I initially did the copy/paste method for the phone number, when that didn't work, managed to memorize it and manually dial it. Automated message to the effect that call could not be completed from the area I was in. It is an 800# ?? and I tried it later from another area to verify it wasn't a service provider outage. So what alternatives do we have as responsible sportsmen & women, when the system in place goes on sabbatical?

bass
bass
You need to handle this like an adult. Go just upstream from his stringer and pee in the water. Chances are he will release the fish and leave :)

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
bass said:
You need to handle this like an adult. Go just upstream from his stringer and pee in the water. Chances are he will release the fish and leave :)

That's hilarious bass! However I am fairly certain someone who has dinner plans for a catch basket of carp out of the lower Willamette is not going to be concerned by that.

P
pinstriper
Yeah if they're eating a steady diet of local fish from there....remote control justice is being served.

troutdude
troutdude
bass said:

You've read waaaaay tooooo many Pat McManus books!!! LOL

hobster
hobster
pinstriper said:
IMO it isn't "tattling". Using the TIP line, or calling any kind of hotline, is there to keep you from having to play policeman.

Dial away, I say. Then stay out of it.

No different than calling in when you see a drunk driver on the road, albeit smaller consequences all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup agree 100 percent

T
TheBigFoote
Yea, as fisherman we have a responsibility to these fish we love to chase so much. I wish they acted quicker, last year in Washington on the Snohomish I watched as two guys using 6ft+ leaders and bare hooks tried to rip the coho and pinks. They snagged maybe 10 fish and had them on stringer, I called and sat there fishing for 5 more hours thinking they were going to get what they had coming and no one ever showed up.

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
I peeled back a few layers today. I called ODFW Clackamas office, when I informed the lady who answered the phone that I wanted to report a poaching incident, but I could not get through on the TIP line, she kindly informed me to call OSP and gave me the number. Unfortunately she completely ignored my statement that I was unable to connect with the TIP line. I called OSP, and the lady who answered to her best to gather my statement, but it seems she was unfamiliar with the Wildlife side of the house, and fishing related incidents, hopefully she passes the info along to the appropriate folks. It also seemed like she was trying to get me off the phone as quickly as possible. I tried to question her about TIP, but she just stated that she unaware of any problems, and would contact communications division.

So long story short (well almost) I got half of my question answered: If you cannot get through on the TIP line, contact OSP. As far as why I cannot reach the TIP line using my mobile phone from Portland,Happy Valley or Molalla still remains a mystery.

J
Jordy
It may be an unfortunate reality but they seem understaffed. I reported a poached deer that someone left the skin on the boat ramp and was told they would take care of it and follow up with me. The carc sat on the boatramp for a week until someone threw it in the water.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Your initial impulse was the right one. It is not snitching, we are not in a gang. You are a responsible citizen doing your part to protect something we all have to share.